Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Parker <da...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/13 04:14:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Trouble accessing website from anything but my local machine

I have installed the Apache webserver on my home computer. I can view my website from my own computer, but my friends cannot. When I ping my domain name from work, the request times out.

I have turned off my firewall, tried setting the webserver to listen on port 8000, and nothing seems to work.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional and the Apache 2.0.45 HTTP webserver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure this is a rookie mistake!

Thanks!

Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] Trouble accessing website from anything but my local machine

Posted by Dan Parker <da...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,
Thank you again for the reply.

The domain name resolves to the correct IP, but the request times out. I believe that you are correct, the problem is probably NOT with my Apache settings. I probably should not use the Apache user's list to debug non-Apache issues.

I will try your recommendation "to telnet to your domain/IP and the port Apache is running on".

Thanks,
Dan Parker

Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu> wrote:
Dan Parker wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion...when I set the webserver to listen on port
> 8000, I could still only access the site from my local machine. The
> site cannot be reached from computers off the network. I have not
> changed any Windows 2000 settings. Could there be a setting that
> I need to modify? I'll also try to find my ISP's TOA.

This is not likely to be an Apache issue then, but the list seems to be
willing to help out with this sort of trouble anyway.

The first step is to try to make any form of connection with your machine
from outside the network, and as I have figured you weren't able to do that
(with ping).

You had a domain name, does it resolve to the correct IP when doing a lookup
on a machine outside your network? On a Windows machine, you type "nslookup
your.domain.tld" on the command prompt. If it cannot be resolved, you have a
DNS issue.

If you get the correct IP, then try to ping it. If that doesn't work, it
might be because it's too common that firewalls &c filters them. You should
now try to telnet to your domain/IP and the port Apache is running on.

Try these things. The result of them will help to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] Trouble accessing website from anything but my local machine

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Re: [users@httpd] Trouble accessing website from anything but my local machine

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
Dan Parker wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion...when I set the webserver to listen on port
> 8000, I could still only access the site from my local machine. The site
> cannot be reached from computers off the network. I have not changed any
> Windows 2000 settings. Could there be a setting that I need to modify?
> I'll also try to find my ISP's TOA.

Are you using NAT in a firewall / router to the internet?  If so, are
you forwarding external port 80 (or 8000) to the correct IP address?

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395
To send me PGP encrypted E-Mail, use:
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/PublicKey.html

Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] Trouble accessing website from anything but my local machine

Posted by Dan Parker <da...@yahoo.com>.
Victor and Robert,

Sorry for the confusion...when I set the webserver to listen on port 8000, I could still only access the site from my local machine. The site cannot be reached from computers off the network. I have not changed any Windows 2000 settings. Could there be a setting that I need to modify? I'll also try to find my ISP's TOA.

Thanks again for trying to help,
Dan

"Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com> wrote:
Hello Dan,

VBG> Could there be a port conflict or IP address change? Is Apache set
VBG> to serve pages to the public or only to the network or both? Good luck :)

DP> Victor, Thank you for the reply! There does not appear to be any
DP> port conflicts. I can reach my site by appending ":8000" to the
DP> end of the domain name (when I set the webserver to listen on port
DP> 8000),

Is it you can reach your site through port 8000 but what ever you try
it cannot be accessed through port 80?

If your site is accessible through port 8000 but not port 80 and your
configurations are correct then chances are your ISP is blocking port
80 for you...

Find out what your ISP's TOA is and see if indeed their blocking port
80. Good luck :)

--
Best regards,
Victor B. Gonzalez

apache_2.0.46-win32-x86-no_src
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Trouble accessing website from anything but my local machine

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello Dan,

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
(plain text, please :-)

Dan Parker wrote:
> I can reach my site by appending ":8000" to the end of the
> domain name (when I set the webserver to listen on port 8000),
> and the IP that the ping request tries to reach coincides with the
> domain name that I am using.

So, where is the problem?

I take this as you can reach your server by addressing
http://your.domain.tld:8000/ from outside your network, which was what you
wanted, right?

Posted by Dan Parker <da...@yahoo.com>.
Victor,
Thank you for the reply! There does not appear to be any port conflicts. I can reach my site by appending ":8000" to the end of the domain name (when I set the webserver to listen on port 8000), and the IP that the ping request tries to reach coincides with the domain name that I am using.

I'm not aware of any settings to "serve pages to the public or only to the network or both." I wonder if this is where I'm missing something.

Thanks again,

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello Dan,