Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by chris schaefer <ch...@quindi.com> on 2002/01/31 02:42:18 UTC

problem with dbXML 1.0b4 , linux RH 7.2, J2SDK1.3.1

Hello:
   After following all the setup instructions to install dbXML, I get
the following as I start dbXM:

Starting dbXML
--------------

dbXML 1.0b4 (Mustard)

Database: 'db' initializing
Script: 'GET' added to script storage
Service: 'db' started
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.dbxml.server.services.SocketServer.createServerSocket(SocketServer.java:234)
    at org.dbxml.core.server.services.GopherServer.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Buried in the FAQ is a reference to 1.3.1 as having problems, but the
details of that are not explicit.

Meanwhile,  I've attempted to dig into the source code to figure out the
problem and found that the
org.dbxml.server.*   section of the tree doesn't seem to have source
anywhere....  I assume that
the GopherServer is then extending a class file buried in one of the
jars as it compiles...

Anyway, I can't seem to solve this problem without further info....
anybody got any ideas?

-C-

Re: problem with dbXML 1.0b4 , linux RH 7.2, J2SDK1.3.1

Posted by chris schaefer <ch...@quindi.com>.
Hmmm
   Ok,  a fresh copy from CVS compiles and runs properly.   In viewing
the source and the stack trace it's possible:
that these lines are the problem:

~234:
            if ( hostname.length() > 0 ) {
               bindaddr = InetAddress.getByName(hostname);
               sock = new ServerSocket(port, 5, bindaddr);
            }

My guess ( without looking in a debugger or anything ),  is that
bindaddr comes back null, and then the
new ServerSocket call fails, do to the null.   Just a wild ass guess.

-C-

Posted by chris schaefer <ch...@quindi.com>.
Ok,  further knowledge:
    Since yesterday my linux box crashed ( first time in like YEARS ).
I now remember that I had made some changes to DNS type info previous to
the crash.  My expectation is that the getAddressByName call did, in
fact somehow FAIL as a consequence of those changes. (but now with a
reboot is behaving well)    In fact, if I go back and use 1.0b4, things
are now working!!!

 Therefore I suspect that the bug still exists, in the SocketServer
class Wherein if the getAddressByName call fails then we get a
NullPointer Exception instead of something marginally more graceful....

-C-

Posted by Kurt Ward <ku...@yahoo.com>.

http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: problem with dbXML 1.0b4 , linux RH 7.2, J2SDK1.3.1

Posted by chris schaefer <ch...@quindi.com>.

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, at 06:42 PM, chris schaefer wrote:

> Hello:
>   After following all the setup instructions to install dbXML, I get the
> following as I start dbXM:
>
> Starting dbXML
> --------------
>
> dbXML 1.0b4 (Mustard)
>
> Database: 'db' initializing
> Script: 'GET' added to script storage
> Service: 'db' started
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>    at
> org.dbxml.server.services.SocketServer.createServerSocket(SocketServer.java:
> 234)
>    at org.dbxml.core.server.services.GopherServer.run(Unknown Source)

I'm going to guess it can't bind to the port because it's already in use.
You should have gotten a more descriptive error in that case though. I'm
not sure why the NullPointerException propagated.

> Buried in the FAQ is a reference to 1.3.1 as having problems, but the
> details of that are not explicit.
> Meanwhile,  I've attempted to dig into the source code to figure out the
> problem and found that the
> org.dbxml.server.*   section of the tree doesn't seem to have source
> anywhere....  I assume that
> the GopherServer is then extending a class file buried in one of the jars
> as it compiles...

You don't actually need the gopher server for anything, it was just a
debugging tool from the early days. You can comment it out in system.xml
to debug the problem. Also the source you're looking for is only available
from CVS. In the Xindice tree it was rolled back into the main tree, but
in dbXML it was a separate project.

> Anyway, I can't seem to solve this problem without further info....
> anybody got any ideas?
>
> -C-

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/