Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Nordgren, Bryce L -FS" <bn...@fs.fed.us> on 2013/07/27 00:23:28 UTC

Networking config question

Hi.

I'm trying to get my head around provisioning a cluster in cloudstack 4.0.2...specifically issues surrounding networking. I have been looking for a good tutorial, but have not googled my way into one yet.

My config is very very simple: one management server and one host. I have two physical networks: "public" and "private". Cloudstack "public" traffic is the only thing on my public network, all other cloudstack traffic is confined to the private network. While I intend to grow this setup, I do not envision that the essential networking situation will change.

The system is managed via the StackIQ Rocks+Cloud roll.  The eth0 NICs are configured as the private network 10.1.4.0/23, having their own superdumb GigE switch. The eth1 NICs form the "public" network 192.168.56.0/24 and are plugged into the University managed switches. This isn't really "public", but I can get to them from the University network. I've been allocated a block of 50 IPs on this University-public network. The management server (10.1.4.1) also serves DNS for the private network, and serves as a gateway to the public world.

I'm having problems getting all four cloudstack traffic types to coexist on these two networks.

The Zone's Guest CIDR is 10.1.4.0/23. The GUI is returning an error when launching my config ("The subnet of the pod you are adding conflicts with the subnet of the Guest IP Network"). The pod was given 10.1.4.0/23 also, with the reserved system IPs of 10.1.4.10-10.1.4.20. Storage traffic, similarly, has been dispatched to the private network with IPs of 10.1.4.40-10.1.4.50. It hasn't complained about this yet, but it might be waiting.

My question is either: "What did I do wrong, above?" or "What is the preferred method of assigning storage, guest, and management traffic to a private network and public traffic to a public network (e.g., what numbers go where in the provisioning process?)"

Thanks in advance,
Bryce

Re: Networking config question

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi, are you trying to use a basic zone (one flat network for all guests)
or an advanced zone (one or more guest networks, each with their own
VLAN)?  I'm guessing advanced since I don't think a basic zone will
work.  For an advanced zone, you need to decide if the guest networks
should be on publicbr0 or privatebr0.  If you never plan to add a second
host it doesn't really matter, but if you do plan on adding more hosts
you should choose the bridge that is connected to a switch that supports
VLANs.

When going through the wizard, make sure to configure the traffic labels
to the correct bridge name.  If they are wrong it might be the problem.
 A blank error in the UI is not common but if the host is "Up" then it
can probably be ignored.  Errors in the UI are not usually useful anyway
so check the management-server.log on the CloudStack server for errors
(or upload it to Pastebin and ask on the list for help).  The secondary
storage alert is normal and can be ignored.

Best regards,
Kirk