Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt England <me...@mengland.net> on 2006/02/08 16:08:41 UTC

How to "stage" input from a broad community?

I manage a significant, private, closed-source software project that is
considering moving to a completely open-source forum and introducing the
software and development publicly to an open audience on the internet/web.

However, if and when source-code input starts coming from external
developers, I would like to be able to "stage" the input for review, to see
what things we want to but in the code repository (which is Subversion
based), and which things we do not.

How might my website, repo, process, and/or some other mechanisms manage
this?  I assume this is a common problem that is addressed in many
open-source communities, including Subversion.

Could we exclusively accept patches?

Does Subversion and/or any other tools help automate this "staging" process?

-Matt

Re: How to "stage" input from a broad community?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 9, 2006, at 19:20, Matt England wrote:

>> Authz for svnserve does appear to be described here:
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html#svnserve-authz
>
> *Excellent*.  I will assume that svnserve in 1.3.x supports
> everything at:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.4.2

Yes, I believe that's correct. I understood that the code which used
to be in mod_dav_svn was moved into the core libraries and that
mod_dav_svn and svnserve now both use that common library. So the
functionality should be identical in both servers.

Re: How to "stage" input from a broad community?

Posted by Matt England <me...@mengland.net>.
At 2/8/2006 03:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>Authz for svnserve does appear to be described here:
>
>http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html#svnserve-authz

*Excellent*.  I will assume that svnserve in 1.3.x supports everything at:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.4.2

If not, please advise.

Thanks again.  I gratefully thank those that contributed to this svnserve
enhancement!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 8, 2006, at 21:11, Wendy Smoak wrote:

>>> Absolutely - it does.  Check out the Subversion Book :
>>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-
>>> book.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.authz.perdir.
>
> This gives me an opening to ask: is there online documentation for
> Subversion 1.3? Because...
>
>> Unfortunately for me, this access-control stuff apparently
>> requires an
>> Apache integration on the svn server system, something I have
>> tried to avoid.
>
> I think this changes with 1.3.  I'm only a couple of weeks into this,
> and so not entirely sure what is and is not possible, but I'm using an
> authz config file with svnserve alone.  (Not svn+ssh, though, since
> the VPN handles encryption.)

This did change in Subversion 1.3. Authz is now available in svnserve
just as it was available in Apache before. I found this patch to the
documentation, submitted in October 2005, updating the online book:

http://www.red-bean.com/pipermail/svnbook-dev/2005-October/001152.html

Ben Collins-Sussman seemed to respond that it wouldn't be applied
until the 1.2 documentation was released, at which point work on the
1.3 documentation could begin; as we can see from the book's site,
the 1.2 documentation has not yet been released in its final form.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/06, Matt England <me...@mengland.net> wrote:
> At 2/8/2006 11:25 AM, Frank Gruman wrote:

> >Absolutely - it does.  Check out the Subversion Book :
> >http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.authz.perdir.

This gives me an opening to ask: is there online documentation for
Subversion 1.3? Because...

> Unfortunately for me, this access-control stuff apparently requires an
> Apache integration on the svn server system, something I have tried to avoid.

I think this changes with 1.3.  I'm only a couple of weeks into this,
and so not entirely sure what is and is not possible, but I'm using an
authz config file with svnserve alone.  (Not svn+ssh, though, since
the VPN handles encryption.)

Wendy Smoak

Re: How to "stage" input from a broad community?

Posted by Matt England <me...@mengland.net>.
At 2/8/2006 11:25 AM, Frank Gruman wrote:
>Absolutely - it does.  Check out the Subversion Book :
>http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.authz.perdir.
>
>That should give you a start of an idea on how to manage that.  You can
>grant read, write, or both access to remote users to any directory within
>a repository.

Ok, great.

Unfortunately for me, this access-control stuff apparently requires an
Apache integration on the svn server system, something I have tried to avoid.

My general nature is to avoid inter-system dependencies if I can.  eg, one
benefit of this: my Apache has gone down occasionally for maintenance,
crash, etc...but my subversion repos are still merrily chugging along
because svnserve doesn't care what Apache does.  It's a nice, minimal
system.  I don't muck up my Apache config with subversion stuff,
either.  Alas, it (svnserve) doesn't have ACL features...or apparently
so...so maybe I'll just run a separate Apache server from the main web site
if I want my independence.

At 2/8/2006 11:24 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>Have you read the Subversion book? It clearly documents how to do
>path-based access control.

I don't see any documentation for an svnserve-based access control...nor do
I know how this would be controlled given that svnserve implements access
control via ssh...and I see easy way for ssh/unix-login-based access
control mechanisms to be plugged into svnserve.

Alas, as Kevin mentions, I don't read the svn book from cover to cover,
hence I hope to find help for point problems here, for which I've very
appreciative.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Matt England wrote:
> Ok. However, I don't see how Subversion, or anything else in the mix,
> can manage access control to the repo such that a user/developer can
> update the feature branch but not update the rest of the repo.  Does
> such a capability exist in Subversion or something related?
>
> -Matt
>

> At 2/8/2006 10:45 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Sounds like you want a "feature branch." When a new suggestion comes
>> in, you can copy your current development code (probably the trunk)
>> into a branch, make the changes there (by applying a patch provided
>> by the user, for example, or you could even give that specific user
>> access to that specific branch), and see how they do. If you hate
>> them, you delete the branch and forget about it. If you love them,
>> you merge the changes back into the trunk.
>>
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s04.html#svn-ch-4-sect-4.4.2

Absolutely - it does.  Check out the Subversion Book :
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.authz.perdir.

That should give you a start of an idea on how to manage that.  You can
grant read, write, or both access to remote users to any directory
within a repository.

Regards,
Frank

Re: How to "stage" input from a broad community?

Posted by "Kevin P. Fleming" <kp...@digium.com>.

Posted by Matt England <me...@mengland.net>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Matt England <me...@mengland.net>.
At 2/9/2006 07:43 PM, Lares Moreau wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 10:08 -0600, Matt England wrote:
> > I manage a significant, private, closed-source software project that is
> > considering moving to a completely open-source forum and introducing the
> > software and development publicly to an open audience on the internet/web.
>-Matt
>
>May I suggest reading http://producingoss.com/ if you haven't already.
>IT's available in a print version and is downloadable.
>
>-Lares

Excellent suggestion, Lares.  Mr. Fogel's book (<http://producingoss.com/>,
"Producing Open Source Software") looks like it contains extremely
pertinent info for my project.

After skimming the table of contents and some of the chapters, I'm finding
that my project already employs, on a collaborative web server, many of
tools/systems that Mr. Fogel recommends (I started building said server
with the potential that it could be open-sourced one day, and that day may
now be coming to fruition).  Having said that, I suspect the guidelines and
recommendations for general community management (processes, policies,
approaches, etc) will provide additional, invaluable information and
knowledge from those with past experiences with such projects.

Posted by Lares Moreau <la...@gmail.com>.

--
Lares Moreau <la...@gmail.com>  | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
lares/irc.freenode.net                 |               ::0 Alberta, Canada