Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kief Morris <ki...@bitbull.com> on 2001/04/18 20:00:25 UTC

Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

craigmcc@apache.org typed the following on 07:27 PM 4/17/2001 +0000
>craigmcc    01/04/17 12:27:20
>
>  Restore the ability to save and reload active sessions across a web app
>  restart.  This was broken by the refactoring of the load() and unload() calls
>  that was recently done in the session manager code.
>  PLEASE run the entire "tester" suite, as well as the Watchdog 4.0 tests, to
>  ensure that we do not introduce regressions like this on future changes.

My apologies for this, I had done manual testing and thought it was OK, but
should not have been so slipshod. I've now gotten the tester working, and
will look into adding tests specific to PersistentManager's functionality,
something I've been meaning to do for a while.

I had problems getting the tester going (and gave up on it a few times previously),
because it seems that, on win2k at least, there are some manual steps which
must be carried out. In particular, tester.bat tells the code to expect tester.xml
to be in %catalina_home%/bin, but the build process does not copy it there.
The same is true for the tester webapp. Should this be handled by the build,
or documented, or did I miss something?

Kief

Re: Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@eng.sun.com>.

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Amy Roh wrote:
>
> > btw, a few tests in the tester fail on my environment.  I get "Unexpected
> > end of file from server" under Authentication, Jndi, and HttpSession tests
> > which result in failing a few of the tests with java.net.SocketException.
> > Is this normal behavior?
> >
> > Amy
> >

> No it's not.  I get 100% passing on Linux and Win98, for both JDK 1.2 and
> 1.3.  What are the details of your environment?  Which individual tests
> are failing?  Have you added the "manager" role to the "tomcat" user in
> conf/tomcat-users.xml?

I did a clean build and passed all.  All is good.  :-)

Amy

--
Amy Roh
Java 2 Enterprise Edition

Re: Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.

Re: Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@eng.sun.com>.
> I had problems getting the tester going (and gave up on it a few times
previously),
> because it seems that, on win2k at least, there are some manual steps
which
> must be carried out. In particular, tester.bat tells the code to expect
tester.xml
> to be in %catalina_home%/bin, but the build process does not copy it
there.
> The same is true for the tester webapp. Should this be handled by the
build,
> or documented, or did I miss something?

Yeah, I initially had problems running tester as well since build itself
doesn't copy files into %catalina_home%/bin (and manually doing it sucks).
On Win2k,
    cd tester
    build deploy-main

will copy the code into %catalina_home%/bin.  It works great!

Amy

Re: Tester (was: cvs commit: ...etc)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Kief Morris wrote:

> craigmcc@apache.org typed the following on 07:27 PM 4/17/2001 +0000
> >craigmcc    01/04/17 12:27:20
> >
> >  Restore the ability to save and reload active sessions across a web app
> >  restart.  This was broken by the refactoring of the load() and unload() calls
> >  that was recently done in the session manager code.
> >  PLEASE run the entire "tester" suite, as well as the Watchdog 4.0 tests, to
> >  ensure that we do not introduce regressions like this on future changes.
>
> My apologies for this, I had done manual testing and thought it was OK, but
> should not have been so slipshod. I've now gotten the tester working, and
> will look into adding tests specific to PersistentManager's functionality,
> something I've been meaning to do for a while.
>
> I had problems getting the tester going (and gave up on it a few times previously),
> because it seems that, on win2k at least, there are some manual steps which
> must be carried out. In particular, tester.bat tells the code to expect tester.xml
> to be in %catalina_home%/bin, but the build process does not copy it there.
> The same is true for the tester webapp. Should this be handled by the build,
> or documented, or did I miss something?
>
> Kief

There are two manual steps involved - one documented, and one not (yet)
documented:

* To run the reload tests, tester relies on being able to log on to the
  "manager" web app with username "tomcat", which must be assigned role
  "manager" in the conf/tomcat-users.xml file.  For obvious reasons, this
  is not the default -- you will need to add it yourself.

* The default build target in the tester directory does not install tester
  -- it only compiles the code.  To install it:
	cd tester
	./build.sh deploy-main

Craig