Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> on 2012/01/04 20:44:34 UTC

[BUILD] EPM for building packages - was [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

I am trying to create the buildbots so that there is now magical secret
sauce to keep them working.
Thus, I am trying to create a 'recipe' for creating the build machine
which includes:

  * vanilla version of an OS (Ubuntu 10.04 as a starting point for
    buildbots so far)
  * a set of dependencies (which I am currently creating as a set of
    apt-get commands for the machine)
  * a script for running the build (which is translated into the
    buildbot config file)

I practice these on my machine and once they are stable and repeatable,
then they are ready for deploy as a buildbot.
I am wary of steps that include building and deploying patched software
outside of this process.

EPM is currently in this category.  What is our best solution for EPM?

 1. find a dependency that can be repeatably loaded in the dependencies
    list
 2. create a configure option of --with-EPM-path=<URL> and download and
    build a patched EPM during the build

I know I have not included the option of prebuilding the patched EPM -
this is intentional, as this leads to highly customized and
non-reproducable build machines, so I think that is a bad course to follow.

thoughts??

A.

Re: [BUILD] EPM for building packages - was [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 1/4/12 11:09 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 1/4/2012 11:44 AM, Andrew Rist wrote:
>> I am trying to create the buildbots so that there is now magical
>> secret sauce to keep them working.
>> Thus, I am trying to create a 'recipe' for creating the build machine
>> which includes:
>>
>> * vanilla version of an OS (Ubuntu 10.04 as a starting point for
>> buildbots so far)
>> * a set of dependencies (which I am currently creating as a set of
>> apt-get commands for the machine)
>> * a script for running the build (which is translated into the
>> buildbot config file)
>>
>> I practice these on my machine and once they are stable and
>> repeatable, then they are ready for deploy as a buildbot.
>> I am wary of steps that include building and deploying patched
>> software outside of this process.
>>
>> EPM is currently in this category. What is our best solution for EPM?
>>
>> 1. find a dependency that can be repeatably loaded in the dependencies
>> list
>> 2. create a configure option of --with-EPM-path=<URL> and download and
>> build a patched EPM during the build
> like the existing option of --with-epm-url, for instance....
> seriously, I got it now, and I'm implementing this into buildbot.
> I think this needs to be added into the ./configure --help

it is already listed in configure --help.

Juergen

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group