Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/07/03 19:12:30 UTC

[Proposal] MyFaces

Is there anything else that anyone would like to discuss regarding the
MyFaces proposal (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFacesProposal) before
we vote on acceptance?

It is unclear to me whether the proposal calls for a CVS repository, or if
they will go straight into Subversion now (rather than having to convert
later), but that can be addressed when we setup the infrastructure.

	--- Noel

RE: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> what if I just copy the proposal and attach it to this mail, and what
> people voted about was this version?

Thank you for doing that.  [He said, wondering why no one, including self,
had thought to the obvious earlier. :-)]

	--- Noel

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
what if I just copy the proposal and attach it to this mail, and what
people voted about was this version?

That should be open - as anybody can read the mailing list archive and
rather static, as nobody will be able to change the content of my e-mail.

Best regards,

Martin

*Proposal for new project MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>*

17 June 2004, The MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>
Team (contributions by: Martin Marinschek, martin at marinschek dot com;
Ted Husted, husted at apache dot org.)

*(0) rationale*

The goal of MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> is to
create and maintain a complete and correct open source implementation of
the JavaServer <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>(tm) Faces
specification. JavaServer <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>
Faces (JSR 127) is the new standard user interface framework for
building web applications in Java.

MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> encourages the
community to provide additional components that can be used in the
JavaServer <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>(tm) Faces
framework. MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> strives to
provide an environment where open source developers can create new
components and contribute them back to the community.

*(0.1) criteria*

/Meritocracy: /

The development of MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> is
consensus-based. Discussions take place on the Developer list at
SourceForge <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SourceForge>. The
developers work as a team. Individuals sometimes take the initiative,
and other times an idea is discussed at length before it is implemented.
Developers often employ Apache conventions, such as "+1", when coming to
decisions.

/Community: /

The MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> project was
founded two years ago. Interest in the project has grown steadily as the
JSF specification neared completition. Currently, the project is hosted
at SourceForge <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SourceForge>, where 13
developers act as "Committers". Currently, the two mailing-lists have
over 150 subscribers, with over 1300 posts. Over 60 problem tickets have
been filed and 6 remain open.

/Core Developers:/

The MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> project was
founded by two developers, then freelancers. Today, one of them is an
employee of the OeKB (Oesterreichische Kontrollbank AG). The projects
other developers hail from many different companies and organizations.
Their work on MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> are
individual contributions, and all developers have already filed
Contributor License Agreements with the ASF.

/Alignment:/

JavaServer <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>(tm) Faces is
part of the J2EE infrastructure, and so MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> aligns with any ASF project
that utilizes the J2SE or J2EE infrastructure. Of particular relevance
are projects such as Geronimo, Struts, and Jakarta Taglibs.

*(0.2) warning signs*

/Orphaned products: /

All of the active developers would like to become MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> Committers or PMC Members and
plan to remain active in the project. The first release of the JSF
specification was finalized only this year, and a long lifecycle is
expected.

/Inexperience with open source:/

The MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> project has
operated as healthy, public open source for two years. Several of the
developers work as committers on other open-source projects.

/Homogenous developers:/

The developers have no no strong association with any single
organisation or company. Geographically, the community is widespread
(mainly the US and several European countries). Development discussions
take place on the public developers list.

/Reliance on salaried developers:/

None of the developers were hired to work on MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>. All came to the project
voluntarily and work on MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> because they are interested
in the project. Some of the developers use MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> in the web applications they
write for their employer, others use MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> as part of their university
studies or research projects.

/No ties to other Apache products:/

MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> has strong ties to
several Apache projects, especially components of the Jakarta Commons.
Developers are working directly with Struts to ensure the Struts Faces
taglib works well with MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>. As work on Geronimo
proceeds, MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> will likely
develop strong ties with that project too.

/A fascination with the Apache brand:/

MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> shares a common
culture with the Apache Software Foundation and now a common license.
The developers believe that by joining the ASF, the MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> community will continue to
grow and continue to attract top-grade developers. The developers
respect and admire Apache products and would like MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> to become one.

*(1) scope of the subprojects*

As an ASF project, the scope of JavaServer
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>(tm) Faces is broad enough
to merit a top-level project. However, MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> may also work well as a
subproject of an existing Apache project, such as Geronimo or Struts.
Our initial preference would be to enter as a TLP, but we leave it to
the Incubator PMC and ASF Board to make the final decision.

MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> would likely have
three related sub-projects:

    * *MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> JSF API
      Implementation* - implementation of the JavaServer
      <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>(tm) Faces API
      (javax.faces.* classes) defined in the specification
    * *MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> JSF Core
      Implementation* - the actual JSF implementation, which is the core
      of the MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> project
    * *MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces> Components and
      Extensions* - custom JavaServer
      <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaServer>(tm) Faces components
      and extensions to standard components which should ideally run
      with any JSR-127 conformant JSF implementation

*(2) identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be
populated*

Source- and binary downloads can be found at:

http://www.myfaces.org/

The source-code is provided under the Apache License, Version 2.0

*(3) identify the ASF resources to be created *

*(3.1) mailing list(s) *

    * myfaces-dev
    * myfaces-user
    * myfaces-cvs

*(3.2) Subversion or CVS repositories*

A CVS-repository with one module:

    * apache-myfaces

The developers understand that a migration to Subversion will happen at
a later date.

*(3.3) Issue Tracking*

MyFaces <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>-Bugs MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>-Features MyFaces
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFaces>-Components

*(4) identify the initial set of committers *

    * Bill Dudney
    * Anton Koinov
    * Dan Hodnett
    * Grant Smith
    * Louis Calisi
    * Manfred Geiler (*)
    * Matthias Wessendorf (*)
    * Oliver Rossmueller (*)
    * Travis Reeder
    * Thomas Spiegl (*)
    * Sylvain Vieujot (*)
    * Martin Marinschek (*)

      (*) = CLA on file

*(5) identify apache sponsoring individual *

    * Ted Husted, Champion (ASF Member, Struts PMC, Jakarta PMC)
    * James Holmes, Mentor (Struts PMC, Jakarta PMC)

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Martin,
>
>When you get a chance, would you please take the Wiki page content and
>prepare it as a record of the project proposal for the MyFaces web site?
>Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
>
>	--- Noel

>.

well, the thing is that our web-site is a wiki-site as well, so it would
not be much of static content over there either ;)

But I will try to find a solution on monday.

Best regards,

Martin

RE: [Proposal] MyFaces

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
What do you think, would it be time to start off the vote? I think the
proposal correctly represents what the MyFaces developer want to achieve
with the project, the vote about the grant is settled on the MyFaces
develop list, and the license has successfully been changed - I think
the remaining CLA's can be sent in during incubation, isn't it?

Best regards,

Martin

Re: [Myfaces-develop] Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
This is exactly what I read in the IntelliJ forum about svnup, not yet
mature...

-Martin

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@freenet.de>.

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
In fact, IntelliJ IDEA - I have read a thread in the IDEA forum about
svnup several days ago, and the conclusion was that it is not yet very
mature and the subversion support is a constant top request of IntelliJ
users in the feature request...

However, CVS support in this IDE is just great!

Have you tried svnup so far, did you like it?

-Martin

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:16:59 +0200, Martin Marinschek wrote:
> Oh, it will be CVS for now, I believe, as our most-beloved
> programming tools don't have subversion support integrated until
> now.

Which tools would those be? There are SVN plugins for both IDEA (http://svnup.tigris.org) and Eclipse (http://subclipse.tigris.org) . For shells, TortoiseSVN is also quite good, if you are using Windows, and there is RapidSVN if not (see tigris.org). Meanwhile, cvs2svn (http://cvs2svn.tigris.org) will transfer your CVS history to SVN.

A bonus is that since SVN supports directory renaming, I believe more history will be retained under SVN than you would retain under CVS.

Subversion is designed as a improved CVS, and, IMHO, lives up to its design goals. The learning curve is surprisingly minimal.

-Ted.

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Oh, it will be CVS for now, I believe, as our most-beloved programming
tools don't have subversion support integrated until now.

Conversion to subversion is delayed ;)

Apart from that, we are all set, I believe..

best regards,

Martin

Re: [Proposal] MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Just a short update - the source-code of MyFaces is now completely under
the Apache License,  Version 2.0 - I will update the proposal according
to this fact.

And this is probably also the difference to the Sun RI ;)

Best regards,

Martin