Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Fischer, Stephen" <sf...@pennmedicine.upenn.edu> on 2020/02/12 02:24:36 UTC

wildcards match end-of-word?

Hi,

I am a solr newbie.  I was surprised to discover that a search for kinase* returned fewer results than kinase.

Then I read the wildcard documentation<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/the-standard-query-parser.html#TheStandardQueryParser-WildcardSearches>, and saw why.  kinase* will not match the word "kinase".

Our end-users won't expect this behavior.  Presumably the solution would be for them (actually us, on their behalf), to use kinase* OR kinase.

But that is kind of a hack.

Is there a way we can configure solr to have wildcards match on end-of-word?

Thanks,
Steve

RE: [External] Re: wildcards match end-of-word?

Posted by "Fischer, Stephen" <sf...@pennmedicine.upenn.edu>.
Also, if helpful, here is our solarconfig.xml
 https://github.com/VEuPathDB/SolrDeployment/blob/master/configsets/site-search/conf/solrconfig.xml

Thanks again, from a Solr Newbie,
steve

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Be aware that if you search a field with stemming, then the index will only contain the stems, i.e. cars, caring may both be indexed as «car», and when you do a wildcard search, all analysis is skipped, so you are only targeting the exact tokens that happen to be in that field. Thus a search for «ca*s» or «c*ing» or «cars*» will not match, but «car*» and even «c*r» will match both these words, which would be surprising right? So if wildcard search is a key feature you better provide a copyField with a fieldType in your schema that do not do stemming. Probably only StandardTokenizer and LowercaseFilter. Then use that field for your wildcard queries instead of the generic stemmed field.

Jan

Posted by Sotiris Fragkiskos <sf...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I could be wrong, but I'm starting to think that it has to do with the
fieldType. In our case, wildcards don't seem to work at all with text_en
types, but they do work with string types.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:52 PM Fischer, Stephen <

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Remove the stopword and stemmer filters from your schema and reindex.

Removing stopwords means you can never match “vitamin a”.

Stemming interferes with wildcard matches. Either stem or do wildcards on a field, not both.

Also, what do your users expect to get with wildcard matches? Those are a slow and imprecise way to search. There is almost always a better way.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Sotiris Fragkiskos <sf...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Steve:

Posted by "Fischer, Stephen" <sf...@pennmedicine.upenn.edu>.
Thanks *very much* for replying.  (You're right, I missed the "zero or more," having focused only on the examples in the doc.  Oops).

New discovery.  kin*ase returns 0 hits.   Below I show the debug output and the pertinent parts of the schema.   Maybe you can spot my problem?

{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":2,
    "params":{
      "q":"kin*ase",
      "defType":"edismax",
      "debug":"all",
      "qf":"TEXT__gene_product",
      "fl":"id,document-type,TEXT__gene_product,score",
      "stopwords":"true"}},
  "response":{"numFound":0,"start":0,"maxScore":0.0,"docs":[]
  },
  "debug":{
    "rawquerystring":"kin*ase",
    "querystring":"kin*ase",
    "parsedquery":"+DisjunctionMaxQuery((TEXT__gene_product:kin*ase))",
    "parsedquery_toString":"+(TEXT__gene_product:kin*ase)",
    "explain":{},
    "QParser":"ExtendedDismaxQParser",
    "altquerystring":null,
    "boost_queries":null,
    "parsed_boost_queries":[],
    "boostfuncs":null,
    "timing":{
      "time":2.0,
      "prepare":{
        "time":1.0,
        "query":{
          "time":1.0},
        "facet":{
          "time":0.0},
        "facet_module":{
          "time":0.0},
        "mlt":{
          "time":0.0},
        "highlight":{
          "time":0.0},
        "stats":{
          "time":0.0},
        "expand":{
          "time":0.0},
        "terms":{
          "time":0.0},
        "debug":{
          "time":0.0}},
      "process":{
        "time":1.0,
        "query":{
          "time":0.0},
        "facet":{
          "time":0.0},
        "facet_module":{
          "time":0.0},
        "mlt":{
          "time":0.0},
        "highlight":{
          "time":0.0},
        "stats":{
          "time":0.0},
        "expand":{
          "time":0.0},
        "terms":{
          "time":0.0},
        "debug":{
          "time":0.0}}}}}

    <dynamicField name="TEXT__*" type="text_en_splitting" indexed="true" stored="true" storeOffsetsWithPositions="true" termVectors="true"/>

    <fieldType name="text_en_splitting_tight" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100" autoGeneratePhraseQueries="true">
      <analyzer type="index">
        <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory" synonyms="synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/>
        <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" ignoreCase="true" words="lang/stopwords_en.txt"/>
        <filter class="solr.WordDelimiterGraphFilterFactory" generateWordParts="0" generateNumberParts="0" catenateWords="1" catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="0"/>
        <filter class="solr.KeywordMarkerFilterFactory" protected="protwords.txt"/>
        <filter class="solr.EnglishMinimalStemFilterFactory"/>
        <!-- this filter can remove any duplicate tokens that appear at the same position - sometimes
             possible with WordDelimiterGraphFilter in conjuncton with stemming. -->
        <filter class="solr.FlattenGraphFilterFactory" />
      </analyzer>
      <analyzer type="query">
        <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory" synonyms="synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/>
        <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" ignoreCase="true" words="lang/stopwords_en.txt"/>
        <filter class="solr.WordDelimiterGraphFilterFactory" generateWordParts="0" generateNumberParts="0" catenateWords="1" catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="0"/>
        <filter class="solr.KeywordMarkerFilterFactory" protected="protwords.txt"/>
        <filter class="solr.EnglishMinimalStemFilterFactory"/>
        <!-- this filter can remove any duplicate tokens that appear at the same position - sometimes
             possible with WordDelimiterGraphFilter in conjuncton with stemming. -->
      </analyzer>
    </fieldType>

“kinase*” does match “kinase”. On the page you linked to, it defines “*” as matching "Multiple characters (matches zero or more sequential characters)”.

If it is not matching, you may be using a stemmer on that field or doing some other processing that changes the tokens.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.