Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com> on 2005/11/17 12:14:42 UTC

Canonical schema naming

Hello JDO developers,

so far the spec doesn't prescribe a canonical naming of schema elements,
as far as I know. As a consequence, it is up to the JDO implementation
to generate names for elements the user didn't provide any orm
information for, such as column names for FK columns.

For systems being written from scratch, i.e. without any need to
reverse-map an existing schema, it is the easiest and therefore probably
the most common way to not provide orm information for naming of
columns, as the JDO implementation will generate them and why bother any
further. The resulting schema being created then is tied to the JDO
implementation in use, making it hard to swap out the JDO implementation
later on after there is some data to keep in the database.

Of course it is possible to provide a. .orm file for making the JDO
implementation B work with the schema generated by implementation A, but
that can be very cumbersome, depending on the size of the schema.

My suggestion would be that the spec prescribes a canonical naming,
maybe by just explaining in prose what the reference implementation JPOX
is doing?

Thanks for listening,
Jörg

Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
                               |                Milastr. 4
Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com