Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/24 12:55:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Hi!

http://old.nabble.com/Tomcat-6-and-Apache2-VS-Tomcat-6-alone-td26493078.html

But I want some mixed input so I'll post it here aswell, so here goes.
Im pretty new to this but have 2 friends that help me out. Though one of my
friends tells me to use Apache2 infront of Tomcat and the other one tells me
it's unnecessary.

I'll try to explain my situation:
I've started a virtual Ubuntu 8.04 Longterm server and my goal is to have
atleast one serious site (made in Grails) and beeing a search engine (think
youtube). So it's gonna be pretty much dynamic content and less static. But
I will also start some sites just for fun that probobly won't have that much
visitors but beeing abit more static content.
Im not saying my primary site will get much visitors but I want to build the
environment as if it has.
Ps. I will probobly put a Varnish at the front sooner or later (for the
experience)

So what do you all think? Is the Apache2 infront of the Tomcat 6 a waste of
time or worth while?
I'd love to have as many inputs as possible!

Re: [users@httpd] Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
Unless you are Amazon or Google, any reason you might find for
choosing one vs. the other will probably have little to do with
performance.  Recent Tomcat versions are not notably slow at serving
static content.  And remember, with HTTPD/Tomcat, every request
and response has to make an extra trip through the local network stack
to cross the process boundary -- small wins may be overwhelmed by the
additional cost of frontending.

Some reasons I have for continuing to run HTTPD in front of Tomcat anyway:

o  I learned HTTPD first and am still more comfortable with it
o  I like HTTPD's configuration language better
o  Lots and lots and LOTS of modules to make HTTPD do all sorts of
   fancy things, if you want them.
o  I absolutely *hate* the JKS certificate store.  I very much prefer
   setting up SSL for HTTPD than for Tomcat.
o  That's the way I set it up originally and I don't want to mess with
   it.

Others will have similar reasons for *not* running an HTTPD frontend.

One other reason I can think of:  if you need HTTPD anyway for other
uses, you might want to keep all the network-related configuration
together.

Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.