Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/09/07 05:36:00 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Drill 0.5.0-incubating release

It is my pleasure to present the Apache Drill 0.5.0-incubating release to
the general incubator list for a vote.  This set of artifacts have passed
our drill-dev vote and incorporate a number of improvements with over 100
JIRAs closed in the last month.

As part of this release, we looked to address the feedback in our previous
release from the general list.  This included enhancing our license and
notice files as well as clearly delineating binary dependencies that are
distributed as part of our convenience binary.

The vote thread can be found here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-drill-dev/201409.mbox/%3CCAKa9qD=L9KLQbNe2BKXKn=H34r0=3booBBd_3UHzeojC9K84Pg@mail.gmail.com%3E

The vote passed with:
+5 binding
+6 non-binding

You can find the artifacts for the release at this location:
http://people.apache.org/~jacques/apache-drill-0.5.0.rc2/

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Jacques

Re: [VOTE] Apache Drill 0.5.0-incubating release

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Well, I was trying to gently ask if there was some way to break the impasse
between different versions of the documentation.

Obviously you saw one thing and Jacques saw another.  But you said what he
saw was out of date.  How could he tell that?  Have you rectified the
competing versions of documentation?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 September 2014 13:24, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 06:51, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> Actually, on reading the links you provide, neither provides solid guidance
>> about the issue in question.  The second link comes closest where it says
>> that projects typically use one of three different methods.  How does this
>> document your strong preference for a single one of these alternatives?
>>
> If we really have a strong preference or even a mandatory way of doing
> this, then it should be clearly stated and not something different people
> interpret differently.
>
> I see
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xyz
>
> as an elegant way of doing it, let me put it differently if a project
> prefer to it differently it might not be elegant enough (or well
> documented).
>
> I think we really need to be careful not to make rules just because we can.
> Giving projects freedom where possible should be our goal.

+1

However, we need to document what functions the process needs to support.

For example, the release vote e-mail should uniquely identify the
release artifacts so that they can be traced back from the public
release area to the vote e-mail.

Also the vote email should provide sufficient information that anyone
can check the release without needing to search for additional
information (e.g. it should link to KEYS etc)

i.e. we need to document _what_ must be done, without necessarily
prescribing _how_ to do it.
Though of course it helps to document a recommended process that meets
the requirements.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ted,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey John,

Thanks for the vote and the information.  I didn't even realize that the
dist.a.o/dev folder existed at until I read your reference at [1].  Always
new things to learn.  I guess that is another option as opposed to the old
skool people.a.o.

[1]: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#host-rc

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 7 September 2014 21:48, John D. Ament <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 3:39 PM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On 7 September 2014 21:31, Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > As I understand the release guidelines, one is not allowed to put
> > something
> > > on dist.apache.org until after a release vote by the Incubator PMC
> > > approves
> > > that release:
> > >
> > > "Only formally-approved releases may be distributed from the main
> > > directories" [1]
> > >
> > > For this candidate, as with our last two releases, we followed this
> piece
> > > of information:
> > >
> > > "It is traditional that release managers use their Apache home space to
> > > make available release candidates. " [1]
> > >
> > I do agree with your POW. Important is:
> > - The release bits are in SVN
> > - The PMC vote is based on the same location presented for IPMC vote.
> >
> > dist.a.o is for approved releases, and I have found no "rule" stating a
> > mandatory location to use for the vote itself.

Sorry forgot an important line.

+1 (binding).

have fun
jan I.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I have to vote -1

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Others have checked signatures and conducted functional tests (and noted
tiny discrepancies on the web-site build instructions).  I have used this
software from the master branch quite recently.  As such, I focussed on
non-functional aspects of the distro.

This looks like a very clean and mature release.  I think the project
should graduate.

Source
=======

Check dependency file exists
Check Disclaimer
Checked license statement and notice for time64
Checked that signing key appears in public key servers
Checked README, INSTALL
Ran rat,
    recursively inspected all poms for out-of-bounds exceptions,
    found moot exclusion of sandbox/

Binary
======

Check LICENSE file exists and lists dependencies (did not check
list exhaustively, only spot-checked)
    CDDL licensed software is appropriately labelled, CDDL included in
    LICENSE, verified source code pointer and inclusion only in
    binary distro

    EPL licensed software is appropriately labelled, EPL included in
    LICENSE, verified source code pointer and inclusion only in binary
    distro

    WTFPL licensed software is noted.  WTFPL is clearly category A
    even though not listed on our web-page at
    http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html.