Posted to user@struts.apache.org by es...@globalsign.net on 2002/07/19 10:20:05 UTC

how can I invoke a Tile Definition directly from the browser

Hi,

How can I invoke a Tile Definition directly from the browser?
This to minimize the number of JSP pages, and have them all defined in the
xml config file.

In Prakash Malani's article 'UI Design with Tiles and Struts'
(http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2002/jw-0104-tilestrut.html),
based on Struts 1.0, is shown that you need to write a non operational
Action Class, that does nothing but direct you to a mapping containing the
Tile Definition.

Is this still the way to go with Struts 1.1b1 ? Or are there better ways of
doing this ?
Where could I find more info on this ?

Thanks in advance,

Esther

SWING Example

Posted by Brad Rhoads <br...@zethcon.com>.
Does anyone have an example of a struts app with both a web & a swing front
end?

Re: how can I invoke a Tile Definition directly from the browser

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.
  Hello,

  This is the way to go. Remember that Tiles definition's names are
logical names. They can't be used directly as URL.

  You can also use a struts action taking the definition's name as
request parameter. The action then insert the requested tiles. Such
action already exist in Tiles sources
(org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.DefinitionDispatcherAction.java)

  Cedric