Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by J Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2003/12/08 17:02:32 UTC

Spam Removal 101

 I need some help on where to start for finding some good spam filter
matcher/mailets for James.   So far, I've just been running the default
config that catches stuff on that one blacklist.  But I'm sure there are
much more sophisticated matchers out there.  My spam is increasing
daily, and I have to get something into James to help.

Is there a good repository out there somewhere?  Or is there just the
"one" that everyone uses that I need to install?  Is there a matcher
'subscription' service for James matcher/mailets like the anti-virus
apps where you can daily or weekly download the latest version for the
latest spam tricks?

Thanks a bunch.

J.

Re: Spam Removal 101

Posted by Dick Dowdell <dd...@argsol.com>.
I've had a lot of success with the "InSpammerBlacklist" mailet that
comes with James.  The key is using an effective blacklist. SpamCop
seems to be the most inclusive.  For example:

            <mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=bl.spamcop.net"
class="ToProcessor">
                <processor>blacklisted</processor>  <!--Put it where you
want it, or just drop it in a black hole-->
                <notice>Sender in blacklist - see
http://www.spamcop.net</notice>
            </mailet>

At the moment I'm testing a "whitelist" mailet I wrote to insure that
mail I expect doesn't get caught by a blacklister.  If anyone's
interested, let me know.

By the way, has anyone done anything with graylisting?

Regards,
Dick Dowdell