Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2016/08/10 07:37:28 UTC

Getting libraries to test RCs

Hey everyone,

from Joan’s excellent blog post about testing Release Candidates:

> To our valued CouchDB application and library developers: please, please run your software against each of the options below.

  — https://blog.couchdb.org/2016/08/08/release-candidates/

I think we can be a little more proactive about this for CouchDB client libraries: let’s open issues on all the CouchDB-compatible client software we care about to test an RC.

Since there are a lot of projects, and we don’t necessarily know which one we “care” about, we should try to be clever about it.

Maybe something like this can work:

1. We prepare an issue text explaining the thing: Heya, CouchDB team here, major new version coming up, you should test it like so: <include instructions to test against a 3-node cluster. Maybe even provide a cluster to do this, or Cloudant can sponsor something?

2. Post this message with a call to action on user@c.a.o, the weekly news, and our other (social) media channels.

3. Ask people who submitted an issue to report back with a link.

4. Collect the link in an issue or JIRA (this could be done in 3., but then everybody needs to be added to the wiki write group, and that’s just extra overhead we don’t need). Maybe we borrow a gist for this, or a Google doc.

That way we encourage client software to check out RCs and we can keep track, while the community helps to select which software to encourage to test 2.0 compat, and helps spread the word and the burden is not left with just a few folks.

What do you think?

Best
Jan

Re: Getting libraries to test RCs

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 10 Aug 2016, at 09:40, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good concern. Indeed noone needs a database without clients
> ready-to-go. From our side it would be good to have nano updated /as
> well as jquery.couch/.

Yes for nano.

I think we are deprecating jquery.couch, because it has no maintainers.

Maybe that deprecation notice will wake people up to contribute ;)

Best
Jan

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Holley <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joan,

I think PouchDB can work around both issues if the decision is that
they represent expected behaviour in 2.0 - that's a call we need the
CouchDB dev team to make though.

Posted by Nolan Lawson <no...@nolanlawson.com>.
To those following along at home, we managed to get PouchDB’s test suite to pass against CouchDB 2 RC4 in Node, but not in Firefox.

https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/pull/5628#issuecomment-244584069

Since this is a timeout, it may just be a test artifact, but 100 seconds seems like a pretty long timeout to not be a true failure.

–Nolan

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nolan Lawson <no...@nolanlawson.com>.

Posted by Dale Harvey <da...@arandomurl.com>.