Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org> on 2018/10/28 11:29:19 UTC

Guava upgrade?

Guava broke backwards compatibility again. Downstream uses (like
Cassandra-Java) have to do more than just bump a version of a dep, sadly.
Version 27.0 is out -
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.google.guava/guava/27.0-jre

Can Cassandra upgrade Guava to latest, please?  Then downstream users of
Cassandra can upgrade too.

Perhaps also consider shading Guava if the usage is entirety a internal
concern.

I'd have raised a Jira ticket, but https://issues.apache.org/jira is pretty
much non-responsive for search and new issues.  I'd raise a ticket for that
too, but ...

- Paul

Re: Guava upgrade?

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.
Hi Andy.

I found https://github.com/datastax/java-driver-shaded-guava which shades
Guava. I made a PR for it to include v27 but the maintainer thinks there's
no difference in API from v26, which is worth confirming. I'll do more
investigation.

- Paul

Re: Guava upgrade?

Posted by Andy Tolbert <an...@datastax.com>.
Hi Paul,

There is a ticket with some work done for upgrading to Guava 26 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14655 ).  It looks like
there are no breaking changes between Guava 26 and 27, so it might just
work if that patch is accepted.

With regards to shading, I'm not sure if there is precedent for doing that
in the project since Cassandra is primarily used as a standalone
application and not an embedded dependency (although of course it can be
used in this way), but Guava would probably be a good place to start.  On
the other hand I think the Guava team is much more mindful about not making
breaking changes these days, so it may not be as needed as before once C*
gets to a newer version.

Thanks,
Andy