Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adrian Panasiuk <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/12 12:51:45 UTC

A case that fools maven-compiler-plugin

Hi,

I have a found a case where maven-compiler-plugin 3.1 compiles files in the
wrong order. As it is near impossible to post a bug report on jira, I'm
posting here. If the bug is of any relevance, here's the test case, if it's
not that important, then I'm cool with leaving it unresolved as well:

// pack/Prop.java:

package pack;

public class Prop { }

//pack/age/Cond.java:

package pack.age;

import static pack.age.Cond.De.and;
import pack.Prop;

public class Cond
{
public static class De extends Prop {
public static void and() {}
}
{
Prop z;
}
}

mvn3 clean compile

and an error message:

[ERROR] /home/adi/plg/winiary/src/main/java/pack/age/Cond.java:[9,40]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class Prop
location: class pack.age.Cond

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile
(default-compile) on project ztrupa: Compilation failure
[ERROR] /home/adi/plg/winiary/src/main/java/pack/age/Cond.java:[9,40]
cannot find symbol
[ERROR] symbol: class Prop
[ERROR] location: class pack.age.Cond

Best regards,
AP

Re: A case that fools maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Adrian Panasiuk <ad...@gmail.com>.
W dniu 12.11.2013 o 13:17 Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> pisze:

> Looks like a JDK issue, because I can recreate it by just using 'javac'
>
> ( http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6391197 seems the closest match )

Ha, nice catch! Didn't realize it could be the JDK.

Best regards,
AP

> As a workaround, move the "import pack.Prop;" line above the static import and it should compile.
>
> On 12 Nov 2013, at 11:51, Adrian Panasiuk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a found a case where maven-compiler-plugin 3.1 compiles files in the
>> wrong order. As it is near impossible to post a bug report on jira, I'm
>> posting here. If the bug is of any relevance, here's the test case, if it's
>> not that important, then I'm cool with leaving it unresolved as well:
>>

>> // pack/Prop.java:
>>
>> package pack;
>>
>> public class Prop { }
>>
>> //pack/age/Cond.java:
>>
>> package pack.age;
>>
>> import static pack.age.Cond.De.and;
>> import pack.Prop;
>>

>> public class Cond
>> {
>> public static class De extends Prop {
>> public static void and() {}
>> }
>> public static void main( String[] args )
>> {
>> Prop z;
>> }
>> }
>>

>> mvn3 clean compile
>>
>> and an error message:
>>
>> [ERROR] /home/adi/plg/winiary/src/main/java/pack/age/Cond.java:[9,40]
>> cannot find symbol
>> symbol: class Prop
>> location: class pack.age.Cond

>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile
>> (default-compile) on project ztrupa: Compilation failure
>> [ERROR] /home/adi/plg/winiary/src/main/java/pack/age/Cond.java:[9,40]
>> cannot find symbol
>> [ERROR] symbol: class Prop
>> [ERROR] location: class pack.age.Cond
>>

>> Best regards,
>> AP

Adrian Panasiuk

Re: A case that fools maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.