Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2006/08/23 06:44:47 UTC

[site] Separate svn directoy for WebSite?

Hi,

we always need to have a different version of the manual on our
website than the one in trunk.  Right now this leads to conflicts when
updating the site on the staging server.

I've put together a separate site "module" in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site which basically consists of
anakia and all its dependencies a build file and two externals
definitions and it kind of works, bundling together xdocs from trunk
and the manual from Ant 1.6.5.

What it doesn't contain right now are the static files that are
directly inside of the ./docs directory.  The easiest solution would
be to move them to ./xdocs in core and copy them to ./docs in core and
./generated in site.

Any comments - including "stop that"?

Stefan

Re: [site] Separate svn directoy for WebSite?

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On Aug 23, 2006, at 7:44 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> What it doesn't contain right now are the static files that are
> directly inside of the ./docs directory.  The easiest solution would
> be to move them to ./xdocs in core and copy them to ./docs in core and
> ./generated in site.

this sounds like a rationalization/unification measure so +1
> Any comments - including "stop that"?
+1 just make sure to write a cheat sheet so that everybody
understands the process to update the site.

> Stefan

Regards

Antone

Re: [site] Separate svn directoy for WebSite?

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> If you are talking about the site directory in svn, this really just
> holds a build.xml, a lib directory populated by hand, an empty
> directory and two svn:externals.  I haven't finished work on it (but
> do have a plan 8-).
Can you tell us what is your plan ? Maybe some of us can help. An idea
to boost it : move the static pages/documents currently under docs in
the ant/core tree to a new directory called for instance static under
docs. We would only have to adjust the links. Would this be suitable ?
In this case you would not have to xmlify ant_in_anger or
ant_task_guidelines.

>> could you add to the site module (or I could do it myself) the
>> manual of Ant 1.7.0Beta1 ?
>>

> Easily.  What would you want its directory name to be?  Just add a
> line to "generated"'s svn:externals property.

Done. Directory name is manual-beta. I have populated this directory
under /www/ant.apache.org using
this svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/tags/ANT_170_B1/docs/manual
manual-beta though.

> Stefan

Regards,

Antoine

Re: [site] Separate svn directoy for WebSite?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> did you populate this site module using "svn copy" ?

If you are talking about the site directory in svn, this really just
holds a build.xml, a lib directory populated by hand, an empty
directory and two svn:externals.  I haven't finished work on it (but
do have a plan 8-).  It is not being used by the website, yet.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Stefan,

did you populate this site module using "svn copy" ?

could you add to the site module (or I could do it myself) the manual
of Ant 1.7.0Beta1 ?

plus we need the links to this manual in index.html/index.xml.

Regards,

Antoine