Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> on 2013/01/27 08:16:48 UTC

[dev] [VOTE] Release Apache Libcloud 0.12.0

Hello all,

It has been a while since we released the last version in November. A bunch
of changes have piled up in trunk so I decided to create a new release
(0.12.0 - r1439036) which includes many new features, bug-fixes and
improvements. It contains everything from trunk except the "datacenter"
related changes.

Datacenter changes are partly backward incompatible and still work in
progress so I have decided to exclude them from this release. They should
be finished in the near future (yay!) and included in the next major
release.

I have manually reverted those changes (it was a pretty time consuming
PITA) so I would appreciate if everyone can spend some extra time testing
those changes and make sure I haven't broke anything in the drivers listed
bellow. I did spend quite a lot of time testing it myself, but it's
possible that I've missed something.

- Rackspace compute drivers
- CloudFiles storage drivers
- EC2 compute drivers

Release artifacts can be found at http://people.apache.org/~tomaz/libcloud/.

Release highlights:

- New more efficient generator based approach for iterating over paginated
collections.

- Old ENUM style provided constants have been replaced with a string
version. This allows users to dynamically register new providers using new
set_driver method.

- New generator based method for iterating over containers
(iterate_containers).

- Support for multipart uploads in the Amazon S3 storage driver.

- New load balancer driver for Amazon Load Balancing (ELB) service.

Full change log can be found at
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/libcloud/tags/0.12.0/CHANGES?revision=r1439036&view=markup

Please test the release and post your votes.

+/- 1
[  ]  Release Apache Libcloud 0.12.0

Vote closes on Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 at 12:00 PST.

Thanks,
Tomaz

Re: [dev] [VOTE] Release Apache Libcloud 0.12.0

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
My replies are in-line.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM, John Carr <jo...@me.com> wrote:

> Actually, the tests for route53/elb are about as good as the other load
> balancers and dns drivers. And the branch I mention wouldn't have caught
> this particular problem anyway, well at least not at this stage. I didn't
> mean to imply that I thought more work was needed before Route53/ELB could
> be unleashed.

Yeah, I probably didn't express myself correctly (didn't want to imply that
your tests / code is worse than other drivers and tests).

Your latest patch fixes the blocking issue in ELB and Route53 driver so
it's good to be included in the next release.

> I wanted to be further along before I shared this branch, but as i've gone
> and brought it up.. here is what I have been thinking about:
>
> I started working on a branch to look at the tests for libcloud as a whole
> because I think we can do better. I'm starting with ELB because i'm more
> familiar with it and because there aren't many load balancer
> implementations.
>
> There were 2 core issues I wanted to address:
>
>  * Generally speaking, project wide the tests actually do a poor job of
> validating the parameters we send to the server (i.e. to the mock). I found
> a couple of checks here and there, but IMO nowhere near enough (this is why
> I brought the branch up). As an example, I can change the rackspace dns
> drivers in ways that would break deleting zones and records, but without
> breaking the tests. One is simply to change the method from DELETE to PUT,
> POST, GET, whatever. Like wise I can break EC2's destroy_node function
> without causing the tests to fail (by not actually passing the InstanceId
> list into params). These are contrived examples, but it doesn't take much
> to break a driver. Indeed, a real world example is that the generic
> response refactor broke the ELB driver and at the time I was too confident
> in the tests.

I agree, we have been doing a better job with having tests for edge cases
lately, but there is still a lot of work to be done here.

>  * As an implementor, I find myself unsure if I have implemented the
> interfaces properly. Sure the arguments are kind of the same and I can
> definitely make my new class work, but that doesn't mean it behaves enough
> like the other implementations to not just be a PITA for the libcloud
> users. Hypothetically for example, what if one implementation of
> DNSDriver.create_record took 'www' and another took 'www.example.com' and
> another took 'www.example.com.'. Our tests don't prevent that, but I
> think they should strive to.

Great point about the driver contributor point of the view. This should be
solved in two ways:

1. Documentation which explains the right inputs and how to contribute
compute / dns / storage / lb driver
2. Tests which ensure that the code is correct (like you have said above)

> My goal ATM is to write one "gold standard" test for the load balancer
> core features. If a load balancer can't do something another can then we
> either need to add a feature flag for it or block it for all load
> balancers. If as a new contributor I came to add a new load balancer i
> would sub class the core tests and then write a Driver and Mock that makes
> those tests pass. This will require mocks that do more that return hard
> coded data.
>
> I've pushed my progress so far to GitHub in the Jc2k/test-proposal branch,
> but it's very early on and i've only looked at the ELB mock so far. Next I
> will do the same for another load balancer and then merge the common tests
> together to create TestBaseLoadBalancer.

Sounds great!

Posted by John Carr <jo...@me.com>.

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Carr <jo...@me.com>.

Posted by Jaume Devesa <de...@gmail.com>.
And Abiquo compute driver! ;)

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
Just FYI - I've started a new voting thread for 0.12.1 release. This
release includes everything which went into 0.12.0 release + a bunch of
other goodies and fixes.

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mahendra M <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Mahendra

http://twitter.com/mahendra

Re: [dev] [VOTE] Release Apache Libcloud 0.12.0

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mahendra M <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Mahendra

http://twitter.com/mahendra

[dev] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Libcloud 0.12.0

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
We found some minor issues with ELB and Route53 driver so I'm closing this
voting thread.

I will roll up a new release (0.12.1) with the fixes for the previously
mentioned issues and start a new voting thread when it's ready.