Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nathan Butcher <na...@newson.co.jp> on 2003/06/03 08:39:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Beginner's test problem

Hi,

I'm a newbie user with Apache 2.0 running off Red-Hat 9, and I'm trying to
set it up as a test web-server. At the moment, it is connected to a client
running Win2000. The connections are fine, and both server and client are
pinging each other nicely. A sample webpage has been placed in
/var/www/html/ on the server (and the config file has been set to see it).
In fact, I've barely touched the httpd config file at all, other than to
check the IP address and where the web page is supposed to sit.

The Win 2000 client's TCP/IP properties has been set to the server's IP
address.
After "apachectl start" is issued, the client tries to access the server's
IP address to see the test web page, but it times out and displays nothing.
The connection *seems* to be working and trying to read the webpage, but it
eventually gives up and says "Page not found". I can't see anything in the
access_log, but the error_log is repeatedly mentioning something about a
"Child process XXXX still did not exist, sending a SIGTERM"

Since I'm a total newbie and pretty clueless so far, is there anythign else
that I have to configure, or is there something very important that I
haven't taken into consideration at all?
I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Re: [users@httpd] Beginner's test problem

Posted by Luis Moreira <la...@bes.pt>.
The client is W2k, right ?

Go to "c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc" and there edit the file LMHOSTS (no
extension).
This is your "local DNS".

Add a line like this

A.B.C.D    name

where "A.B.C.D" and "name" stand for the ip address and URL in your case.

That, or install a simple DNS server on the RedHat box, and point DNS
resolution on the client to that machine...

Luis
Posted by Jean-Rene Cormier <je...@cipanb.ca>.
On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 07:49, Nathan Butcher wrote:
> That's right, it doesn't resolve to the IP address.
> ....and the usual ways to do this are......?! ;)
>
> I have no idea about how to go about setting it to resolve to the IP. Where
> do I start?

Check out the DNS HOWTO and the bind documentation, that will give you a
good start.

Jean-Rene Cormier

Re: [users@httpd] Beginner's test problem

Posted by Nathan Butcher <na...@newson.co.jp>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New

Re: [users@httpd] Beginner's test problem

Posted by Nathan Butcher <na...@newson.co.jp>.
Yes, I know. This is what I'm trying to do. But because I am completely new
to all of this, so far it's taken me all day to get this far.

the server is standalone and not connected the the internet, so some basic
DNS functionality would be nice. How do I pull that off?

(I think I'm going to have a lie-down!)

Thanks,

Posted by Nathan Butcher <na...@newson.co.jp>.
Ok, did that.... but the apache directory isn't in usr at all. This may be
because I'm running Apache 2.0 on the server (which is actually a
clapped-out Pentium with a network card) and the install may be different I
guess....

I noticed apache running when I did ps -e.... seems to be going.... the
error log for Apache reports starting up and shutting down.

Telnet.... that isn't going. The client cannot telnet the IP of the server
and get conencted. I assume this is bad. The server cannot telnet itself
either.
Maybe you are on to something with that. Any ideas on what to check next? I
don't know what's needed to give the client telnet access.

Thanks,

Posted by Luis Moreira <la...@bes.pt>.
Are you familiar with "man pages" ?
Try typing "man find" and read the syntax.

If you write something like

Posted by Jean Piere Nurcahyo Sumarno <ma...@ai3.itb.ac.id>.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Nathan Butcher wrote:
> How do I find htdocs on the system? I'm a total newbie so since htdocs is a
> directory, I can't type : find / -name htdocs beacuse then in won't show up.
> What do I type to find this directory? (Although I'm not sure if toying with
> htdocs would help much as the server should start as it is, I feel.)

Nathan, did you open the directory /apache ? if you open it you will see
htdocs. If you did not see it, but you see the apache directory again,
just open it. You will see the "htdocs" directory. If you open this, you
will see the index.html file.

> The other concern is that the client is polling the server searching for
> something, but nothing abnormal is showing up in the error or access logs
> (nothing at all in the access log) to prove that the client was ever in
> there, although there definitely IS a connection of some kind because both
> PCs can ping each other successfully.

In the network checking, the pinging always used to know the "connection
between server and pc client". But it did not always mean an apache server
works fine :-).

Regards,
Marno

Posted by Ronald Zeelenberg <ro...@hotmail.com>.
Or updatedb

I think

Posted by Nathan Butcher <na...@newson.co.jp>.

Posted by Jean Piere Nurcahyo Sumarno <ma...@ai3.itb.ac.id>.
Hi Nathan,

Posted by Nathan Butcher <na...@newson.co.jp>.
MessageActually when I found DocumentRoot, it was set to "/var/www/html" and
I haven't touched it since.

What is htdocs? (I ran a "find" on the server, but it never showed up)

I changed the name of the index file to index.htm, BUT I also made sure that
the conf would recognise .htm and not .html

  so in order to change the location of webpages from htdocs to
/var/www/html

  you changed the "DocumentRoot" option?

  also did you change the name of your index.html file?

RE: [users@httpd] Beginner's test problem