Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Sloan, Craig" <CS...@wittmann-ct.com> on 2005/08/15 21:03:11 UTC

Where should I adjust scoring

I've inherited a SA ver 3.0.1 box that is running great (thus my lack of
intimacy with it). I would like to adjust some of the scoring, and I
want to make sure that I change it in the correct location. I've seen a
couple of locations suggested and I not sure which would be preferred
and/or better.

The spamd daemon is running under the user 'spamfilter'. Should I adjust
it in /home/spamfilter/.spamassassin/user_prefs or in
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?

Thanks,
Craig Sloan

Re: Where should I adjust scoring

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 03:03:11PM -0400, Sloan, Craig wrote:
> I've inherited a SA ver 3.0.1 box that is running great (thus my lack of
> intimacy with it). I would like to adjust some of the scoring, and I
> want to make sure that I change it in the correct location. I've seen a
> couple of locations suggested and I not sure which would be preferred
> and/or better.
>
> The spamd daemon is running under the user 'spamfilter'. Should I adjust
> it in /home/spamfilter/.spamassassin/user_prefs or in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?

The latter.  SA won't read /home/spamfilter/.spamassassin/user_prefs
unless it's processing email for "spamfilter", and it's being called
from something like ~spamfilter/.procmailrc.

> Thanks,
> Craig Sloan

Also, you should upgrade to v3.0.4.  Versions 3.0.1-3 have a DOS
vulnerability.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.