Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Vince@GMAIL" <wa...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/19 18:17:40 UTC

Java Version

Hello Group:

My Windows 10 Home is used on a 64-bit architecture DELL desktop.

I recently downloaded and installed Libre Office software.  So, now I
have both packages:

 1. Apache Open Office: AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
 2. Libre Office: Version: 6.3.5.2 (x64)
    Build ID: dd0751754f11728f69b42ee2af66670068624673

The two JREs available to me are:

 1. jre-8u201-windows-i586
 2. jre-8u241-windows-x64

Given that a 32-bit java and a 64-bit java should/must not be installed
on the same machine/partition. I therefore must remove one of the JREs
from my machine.....    Or, install and run the AOO 64-bit version, and
keep the JRE-64 bit. But I am uncertain if I would loose any of my
32-bit AOO existing files and/or templates.

How should I proceed if I go ahead with the 64-bit AOO installation?
Will I loose any 32-bit AOO files/templates? Are there any practical
advantages included in AOO-64 over AOO-32?

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this. Stay well and be safe.

VinceB.

Re: Java Version

Posted by "WA.TWORSX via AOL" <wa...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
I will look within C:\\Program Files for the 64-bit jre and within the
C:\\ Program Files(x86) for the 32-bit jre.

I did an update today; within Program Files > Java, showing these folders:

 1. jre1.8.0.241 and
 2. jre1.8.0.251, now.

AFAIK, the versions I gave in my OP for AOO and LO are the latest. I am
on a *n*ormal Release Distribution.

VinceB.

Re: Java Version

Posted by BMCS <bm...@apache.org>.
The OP was writing about the Windows and currently there is no 64bit
edition of AOO for Windows.

Dave

Re: Java Version

Posted by David Belina <db...@comcast.net>.
One practical advantage is that the 64-bit version works in Mac Caralina?

On May 19, 2020 at 1:12:18 PM, BMCS (bmcs@apache.org) wrote:

My responses are given in-line with your original message.

> My Windows 10 Home is used on a 64-bit architecture DELL desktop.
>
> I recently downloaded and installed Libre Office software.  So, now I
> have both packages:
>
> 1. Apache Open Office: AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
> 2. Libre Office: Version: 6.3.5.2 (x64)
>    Build ID: dd0751754f11728f69b42ee2af66670068624673
Unless there is a very good reason not to, you should update both to the
latest versions.
> The two JREs available to me are:
>
> 1. jre-8u201-windows-i586
> 2. jre-8u241-windows-x64
Again update both to jre-8u251 https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
> Given that a 32-bit java and a 64-bit java should/must not be
> installed on the same machine/partition.
Where did you acquire this misinformation. For years I have had both 32
& 64 bit JRE installed and never encountered any issues.
> I therefore must remove one of the JREs from my machine.....    Or,
> install and run the AOO 64-bit version, and keep the JRE-64 bit. But I
> am uncertain if I would loose any of my 32-bit AOO existing files
> and/or templates.
Provided you tell AOO to use the 32bit JRE and LO to use the 64bit JRE
it will not be a problem for you. Hint: Tools->Options->OpenOffice->Java
> How should I proceed if I go ahead with the 64-bit AOO installation?
> Will I loose any 32-bit AOO files/templates?
NO.
> Are there any practical advantages included in AOO-64 over AOO-32?
Not sure what you mean by this.

> Your suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for reading this. Stay well and be safe.
>
> VinceB.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Re[2]: Java Version

Posted by Amin Jacek Pędziwiater <am...@aol.com.INVALID>.
To configure the Java environment with the AOO package you only need to
open the settings tab (Tools>Options>Java) and wait for a moment until
the AOO automatically detects the installed JRE and select "Use a Java
runtime environment" and the detected version. If the AOO does not
automatically detect the installed environment you have to use "Add"
button and manually indicate the location of the folder where the JRE is
located.  After saving the settings, the AOO functionality requiring a
JRE should work without problems.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 11:39 20/05/2020 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>OKay; I now have a jre1.8.0_251 folder showing under C:Program Files
>(x86) Java. I think I am now convinced that a 32-bit JRE is
>installed on my computer.
>1. Does that mean that AOO will recognize it?

Not necessarily.

>2. What additional steps should I do for AOO functionality?

Go to Tools | Options.. | OpenOffice | Java | Java options. "Use a
Java runtime environment" needs to be ticked *and* and entry in the
panel below (wait for it to be populated) needs to be explicitly selected.

>3. Is there a test that I can/should do? I think AOO-Base relies on
>JRE; maybe I should attempt to run a Base template, since I do not
>have any Base files of my own doing, yet.

Easier than using Base:
o Open OpenOffice Help - using the button in the Standard toolbar or
by pressing F1.
o Click the Find tab.
o Type something in the "Search term" box.
o Click Find.

If your JRE is working, you will see some results - or possibly a "No
topics found" message.
If a JRE is not selected, you will see an "Enable JRE" error message.
(You can toggle it on there.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Java Version

Posted by "WA.TWORSX via AOL" <wa...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
Dave and Group:

Re: Java Version

Posted by BMCS <bm...@apache.org>.

Re: Java Version

Posted by "WA.TWORSX via AOL" <wa...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
BMCS:

Re: Java Version

Posted by BMCS <bm...@apache.org>.
My responses are given in-line with your original message.

> My Windows 10 Home is used on a 64-bit architecture DELL desktop.
>
> I recently downloaded and installed Libre Office software.  So, now I
> have both packages:
>
> 1. Apache Open Office: AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
> 2. Libre Office: Version: 6.3.5.2 (x64)
>    Build ID: dd0751754f11728f69b42ee2af66670068624673
Unless there is a very good reason not to, you should update both to the
latest versions.
> The two JREs available to me are:
>
> 1. jre-8u201-windows-i586
> 2. jre-8u241-windows-x64
Again update both to jre-8u251 https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
> Given that a 32-bit java and a 64-bit java should/must not be
> installed on the same machine/partition.
Where did you acquire this misinformation. For years I have had both 32
& 64 bit JRE installed and never encountered any issues.
> I therefore must remove one of the JREs from my machine.....    Or,
> install and run the AOO 64-bit version, and keep the JRE-64 bit. But I
> am uncertain if I would loose any of my 32-bit AOO existing files
> and/or templates.
Provided you tell AOO to use the 32bit JRE and LO to use the 64bit JRE
it will not be a problem for you. Hint: Tools->Options->OpenOffice->Java
> How should I proceed if I go ahead with the 64-bit AOO installation?
> Will I loose any 32-bit AOO files/templates?
NO.
> Are there any practical advantages included in AOO-64 over AOO-32?
Not sure what you mean by this.

> Your suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for reading this. Stay well and be safe.
>
> VinceB.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Re: Java Version

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 5/19/2020 2:17 PM, Vince@GMAIL wrote:
> Hello Group:
>
> My Windows 10 Home is used on a 64-bit architecture DELL desktop.
>
> I recently downloaded and installed Libre Office software.  So, now I
> have both packages:
>
> 1. Apache Open Office: AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
> 2. Libre Office: Version: 6.3.5.2 (x64)
>    Build ID: dd0751754f11728f69b42ee2af66670068624673
>
> The two JREs available to me are:
>
> 1. jre-8u201-windows-i586
> 2. jre-8u241-windows-x64
>
> Given that a 32-bit java and a 64-bit java should/must not be installed
> on the same machine/partition. I therefore must remove one of the JREs
> from my machine.....    Or, install and run the AOO 64-bit version, and
> keep the JRE-64 bit. But I am uncertain if I would loose any of my
> 32-bit AOO existing files and/or templates.
>
> How should I proceed if I go ahead with the 64-bit AOO installation?
> Will I loose any 32-bit AOO files/templates? Are there any practical
> advantages included in AOO-64 over AOO-32?
>
> Your suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for reading this. Stay well and be safe.
>
> VinceB.Both jres can co-exist on the same system. with Apache OpenOffice you
need the 32 bit jre if you are using the 64 bit version of LibreOffice
you need the 64 bit version. Which one gets used at least for Apache
OpenOffice is set in Tools->Options->Java.

Regards
Keith

Re: Java Version

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Vince,

there should be no issue in having a 32  bit version and a 64 bit
version on disk.

LibreOffice and OpenOffice can coop very well next to each other. If you
get issue let us know.

All the Best

Peter