Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/15 17:10:42 UTC

Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Hey Guys,

I would like to commit Karaf-1563 [1] to the 2.x line; but the only
branch available now is 2.3.x; while I know that a common argument now
will be that we should rather focus on 3.x I simply don't like the
idea to apply new features to micro releases. Those should always be
stable and new features simply cant gurantee this!

Kind regards,
Andreas

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1563

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf release policy and branches

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I think so too. If we ONLY backport real bugs and nothing else it would be
quite minimal imho. Let the branches grow as needed :-)
Kind regards, Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Currently we are at 2.3.0 and 2.2.10. Does it mean that if we get out 2.4
to provide new features to our users, we will stop working on 2.2.x?
How would this work when we get 3.0.0 out?

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf release policy and branches

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
I fully agree
+1 (binding)

regards, Achim

2013/1/16 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>

> Regarding the discussion, here's my proposal:
>
> - trunk stays as it is
> - I create karaf-2.x branch that will contain 2.x minor releases: 2.4.0,
> 2.5.0, 2.6.0
> - the "micro" branches will be created only when necessary
> - karaf-2.2.x and karaf-2.3.x stay as they are (as we will have a 2.3.1
> and we have 2.2.x releases)
>
> We maintain the latest two stable releases (currently 2.3.0 and 2.2.10 for
> instance).
>
> Micro releases should be really to fix only major bugs. We should focus on
> minor releases.
>
> If we are agree with that, I will do that this evening (my time, PCT).
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 01/15/2013 05:10 PM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I would like to commit Karaf-1563 [1] to the 2.x line; but the only
>> branch available now is 2.3.x; while I know that a common argument now
>> will be that we should rather focus on 3.x I simply don't like the
>> idea to apply new features to micro releases. Those should always be
>> stable and new features simply cant gurantee this!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/KARAF-1563<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1563>
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

[PROPOSAL] Karaf release policy and branches

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
To my understanding the bugfix is just waiting to be applied.
Therefore waiting for "another two month" isn't necessary, so we might
very  well just switch now.

Though releasing a 2.3.1 first is fine with me, which would result in a 2
month delay for the back port then ;)

Just my .02 cents
Achim

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

my proposal would be to release 2.3.1 asap (including new Aries version)
and create 2.4.x just after.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
I would rather pickup 2.3.1 in the next 2 weeks as planned, rather
than another 2 months. :-) for 2.4

-D

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Even better.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It depends what you name "minor" releases.

If, by minor releases, we stand for 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, etc, I'm agree.
If, by minor releases, we stand for "micro releases" 2.2.10, 2.2.11,
etc, I disagree.

AFAIR, we decided to maintain:
- the current stable release (2.3.0)
- the previous stable branch release (2.2.10)

If we release 3.0.0, we will maintain "only" 3.0.0 and 2.3.0.
If we release 2.4.0 (and not yet 3.0.0), we will maintain "only" 2.4.0
and 2.3.0.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Oh, I forgot, it's this issue I was talking of :)

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Re: Create Karaf 2.4.x branch

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, that would give me a good way to revert my console security things
i put in 2.3.x branch until i can find some more time to polish it.
So +1

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I would like to commit Karaf-1563 [1] to the 2.x line; but the only
> branch available now is 2.3.x; while I know that a common argument now
> will be that we should rather focus on 3.x I simply don't like the
> idea to apply new features to micro releases. Those should always be
> stable and new features simply cant gurantee this!
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1563

--