Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Felix Neutatz <ne...@googlemail.com> on 2015/06/04 09:59:31 UTC

ALS implementation

Hi,

I played a bit with the ALS recommender algorithm. I used the movielens
dataset: http://files.grouplens.org/datasets/movielens/ml-latest-README.html

The rating matrix has 21.063.128 entries (ratings).

I run the algorithm with 3 configurations:

1. standard jvm heap space:

val als = ALS()
   .setIterations(10)
   .setNumFactors(10)
   .setBlocks(100)

throws:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Hash Join bug in memory management: Memory
buffers leaked.
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.buildTableFromSpilledPartition(MutableHashTable.java:733)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.prepareNextPartition(MutableHashTable.java:508)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.nextRecord(MutableHashTable.java:541)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.NonReusingBuildFirstHashMatchIterator.callWithNextKey(NonReusingBuildFirstHashMatchIterator.java:104)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.MatchDriver.run(MatchDriver.java:173)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.RegularPactTask.run(RegularPactTask.java:496)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.RegularPactTask.invoke(RegularPactTask.java:362)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task.run(Task.java:559)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

2. 5G jvm heap space

val als = ALS()
   .setIterations(10)
   .setNumFactors(10)
   .setBlocks(150)

throws:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.HashPartition.spillPartition(HashPartition.java:310)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.spillPartition(MutableHashTable.java:1090)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.insertBucketEntry(MutableHashTable.java:923)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.buildTableFromSpilledPartition(MutableHashTable.java:779)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.prepareNextPartition(MutableHashTable.java:508)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.MutableHashTable.nextRecord(MutableHashTable.java:541)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.hash.NonReusingBuildFirstHashMatchIterator.callWithNextKey(NonReusingBuildFirstHashMatchIterator.java:104)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.MatchDriver.run(MatchDriver.java:173)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.RegularPactTask.run(RegularPactTask.java:496)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.RegularPactTask.invoke(RegularPactTask.java:362)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task.run(Task.java:559)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

3. 14G jvm heap space

val als = ALS()
   .setIterations(10)
   .setNumFactors(10)
   .setBlocks(150)
   .setTemporaryPath("/tmp/tmpALS")

-> works

Is this a Flink problem or is it just my bad configuration?

Best regards,
Felix

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, the problem with the "maximum number of recursions" is the distribution
of join keys.

If a partition does not fit into memory, HybridHashJoin tries to solve this
problem by recursively partitioning the partition using a different hash
function.
If join keys are heavily skewed, this strategy might fail. Hashing the same
values with a different hash function won't put them into different
partitions so the partition remains too large to fit into memory and
another recursion is done. At some point, the HybridHashJoin gives up and
throws the too many recursions exception.

There are three solutions to this problem:
1. use more memory
2. use a sort-merge join
3. switch the inputs of the hash-join

Cheers, Fabian

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
I think I found the possible error. I suspect that the empirical risk
calculation causes the problem with the *Hash join exceeded maximum number
of recursions*. What you do for this calculation is to provide the training
data set DataSet[(Int, Int, Double)] and you calculate for each item the
predicted rating value. In order to do this, you first join each rating
value with the user factors (join key is the first field) and then you join
the result with the item factors (join key is the second field). For the
second join operation you basically have a DataSet[(Int, Int, UserFactors)]
with UserFactors being an array of doubles as one of the joining data sets.
This data set has roughly the size of #ratings * #latentFactors *
sizeof(Double) and many entries with an identical key (= #ratingEntries for
each item).

I assume that the only way to make this robust is to force a sort merge
join strategy here because one cannot get rid of the duplicate join keys.
​

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Felix, I tried to reproduce the problem with the *Hash join exceeded
> maximum number of recursions, without reducing partitions enough to be
> memory resident.* exception. I used the same data set and the same
> settings for ALS. However, on my machine it runs through without this
> exception. Could you tell me on what computer you’re running the program?
> How many cores, how much memory do you give the JVM as standard value?
>
> How does your program looks like? Do you only calculate the factorization
> and print it? Or do you also try to calculate predictions?
>
> I found only one possible join operation where this exception could be
> thrown, namely the predict operation. However, the join key should be
> unique for the build side at this position, because you join the the user
> vectors with the user ids of you query there. All other joins use the merge
> strategy. Is it correct, that the factorization has been completed before
> the exception occurs? You can see that in the output if the 10th iteration
> has been reached.
>
> Maybe you can also send us the execution plan:
> println(env.getExecutionPlan()).
>
> What we could try is to insert a join hint for the respective join
> operation and see whether this solves your problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Till
> ​
>
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 1:32 AM Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll look into it to find the responsible join operation.
>> On Jun 5, 2015 10:50 AM, "Stephan Ewen" <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> There are two different issues here:
>>>
>>> 1) Flink does figure out how much memory a join gets, but that memory may
>>> be too little for the join to accept it. Flink plans highly conservative
>>> right now - too conservative often, which is something we have on the
>>> immediate roadmap to fix.
>>>
>>> 2) The "Hash Join exceeded recursions" problems is made worse by little
>>> memory, but is usually an indicator that the join is running the wrong
>>> way
>>> anyways. The side with many duplicates should rarely be the build side,

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Felix Neutatz <ne...@googlemail.com>.

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Till Rohrmann <ti...@gmail.com>.

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@icloud.com>.
I think that the NPE in second condition is bug in HashTable.
I just found that ConnectedComponents with small memory segments causes same error. (I thought I fixed the bug, but It is still alive.)

Regards,
Chiwan Park

Re: ALS implementation

Posted by Felix Neutatz <ne...@googlemail.com>.