Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Dylan J Browne <dy...@lanergy.com> on 2001/06/19 13:37:56 UTC

Classpath Wrong?

Hi,
Am getting the following error when trying to run the addressbook sample
with SOAP2.2.

My coomand line is:

C:\soap-2_2>javasamples.addressbook.GetAddress
http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter "John B. Good"

The error is:

Generated fault:
  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server
  Fault String = service 'urn:AddressFetcher' unknown

If I run the testit.bat, I get a bit more info, it returns:

C:\Development\soap-2_2\samples\addressbook>java -classpath
c:\development\soap-2_2 samples.addressbook.GetAddress
http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter "John B. Good"
Generated fault:
  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Client
  Fault String = Deployment error in SOAP service 'urn:AddressFetcher':
class name 'samples.addressbook.Address' could not be
resolved:samples.addressbook.Address

So I'm guessing my classpath is wrong. Thanks in advance for any help or
suggestions.

Dylan.

Re: Classpath Wrong?

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
At 12:37 PM 6/19/2001 +0100, Dylan J Browne wrote:
>Hi,
>Am getting the following error when trying to run the addressbook sample
>with SOAP2.2.
>Generated fault:
>   Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server
>   Fault String = service 'urn:AddressFetcher' unknown

The top-level "Troubleshooting" of the docs says that service XYZ
unknown indicates a non-deployed service, but that may be misleading:

>If I run the testit.bat, I get a bit more info, it returns:
>
>C:\Development\soap-2_2\samples\addressbook>java -classpath
>c:\development\soap-2_2 samples.addressbook.GetAddress
>http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter "John B. Good"
>Generated fault:
>   Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Client
>   Fault String = Deployment error in SOAP service 'urn:AddressFetcher':
>class name 'samples.addressbook.Address' could not be
>resolved:samples.addressbook.Address
>
>So I'm guessing my classpath is wrong. Thanks in advance for any help or
>suggestions.

I hereby guess you're right: if the directory containing the "samples" dir
is on the classpath, you should not get that error message. You can make it
absolutely specific: go into the directory containing the samples dir, say

   dir samples\addressbook\*.class

to make sure that Address.class is in there, then

   jar -cf soapsamp.jar samples/addressbook/*.class

so now you have a jar file containing the compressed files and uncompressed
labels, e.g. "samples/addressbook/Address"; place soapsamp.jar explicitly on
your classpath, whether you do it in the registry (NT) or autoexec.bat (Win9x)
or on Win9x you can drop it into the %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext directory (which
ought to work on NT too, so far as I know, but it hasn't always worked for me)
or maybe just by dropping it into jakarta-tomcat\lib, if you're using tomcat.
Then restart your service and hope to get through to some other error message.
If this works, then please post back to the list that the troubleshooting doc
needs an amplification (I assume you wouldn't be getting this message if the
service really wasn't deployed. But maybe I'm wrong again.)

Tom Myers

Re: Classpath Wrong?

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.