Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Gary Karasiuk <gk...@rogers.com> on 2006/02/07 14:55:12 UTC

Hot Deploy?

Is there a way to "hot deploy" changes to a running application?

For example if I wanted to change a couple of servlets (i.e. .class
files) in my war. And/or if I wanted to change a couple of jsp files.

Re: Hot Deploy?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Gary,

There is a "hot deploy" feature in Geronimo.  Here is a link to some
documentation on deployment that includes a very brief description of
hot deploy.

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Deployment

For simple changes such as to jsps you can also update the appropriate
file in the config-store after the application has been initially
deployed.  You can determine which numbered config is your application
by looking for your application in config-store/index.properties.

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Hot Deploy?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 7, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Gary Karasiuk wrote:

> I also was seeing what I suspect is a memory leak. The working set
> went up 3MB on every deploy.
>
> BTW, Even a single WAR can be quite big. I've seen lots of
> customers with WARs > 100 MB. That is a lot of bytes to move, when
> you are only changing a couple of classes.

I deployed/undeployed DayTrader 100's of times and didn't see
unbounded memory growth. There was bounded memory growth due to some
ThreadLocal references that "temporarily" kept deployment artifacts
alive. If you have something that's unbounded, easily reproducible,
and sharable, I can take a look at it... It's possible that you have
scenarios which werent' tested or new problems were introduced prior
to release...

--kevan

Re: Hot Deploy?

Posted by Ed R <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
100Mb war is a HUGE war!!!
  No, mine has about 20Mb (because I use OJB - that uses large amout of  libraries - and a services classes from business layer for a really  large app).

  In any way, Geronimo is running well. I have made a simple test,  putting Geronimo to run app 24hours without redeploying, and memory was  constant.

  Appear memory leak be redeploy related.

  Best regards,

  Richter

Gary Karasiuk <gk...@rogers.com> escreveu:  I also was seeing what I suspect is a memory leak. The working set went up 3MB on every deploy.