Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by sh...@e-z.net on 2008/09/17 19:02:19 UTC

Re: Announcement/Poll: Complier and platform support for Xalan-

Dave,

Continued support of (MSVC 7.1) is required until after(MSVC 8.0) has
a stable release.

I support projects with Unisys, State of Oregon, and consult with
project development in many states.  The Xalan and Xerces libraries are
in common use.  I do not want (MSVC 7.1) deprecated until there is a
stable release that supports both (MSVC 7.1) and (MSVC 8.0).

Please do not allow (MSVC 7.1) to be deprecated until after (MSVC 8.0)
has been released and stable.  We need a stable migration path to
support platform dependencies in numerous system infrastructure
integration projects.  Xalan/Xerces compatibility is not our only
issue for using (MSVC 7.1), albiet an important one.

Xalan-c 1.10.0 is the stable release we are using, supported with
Xerces-c 2.7.   I know that Xerces-c 2.8 has been released with (MSVC 8.0)
support.  Our development question is when will Xalan-c have a stable
and published release that is supported with (MSVC 8.0)?

I have attempted some upgrades of Xalan to support the (MSVC 8.0)
and MS Studio .NET 2005 platforms and have seen numerous infrastructure
deprecation issues between (MSVC 7.1 and MSVC 8.0).  I also would like
access to the development code base to help with and test the
MSVC 8.0 upgrade and integration.

We have code development library efforts that use both Linux and Microsoft
development platforms.  Some of our projects have a 2-3 year development
effort.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway // Oregon State Police

I'm trying to figure out what compilers and platforms to support moving
forward.  My motivation is to reduce the amount of time I spend
maintaining the various Microsoft project files and more obscure
platforms so I can spend more time on code and a re-write of the
Linux/Unix build system.

As part of this, I would like to remove support for the following
compilers/platforms:

     MS Visual Studio.Net 2002 (MSVC 7)
     HP-UX 10
     Versions of GCC earlier than 3.x on all platforms.

In addition, the following platforms will be deprecated and disappear
withing 6-12 months:

     Microsoft Visual Studio 6
     MS Visual Studio.Net 2003 (MSVC 7.1)
     Compaq Tru64
     Irix

These platforms will remain in the build system and the source code, but
they are not guaranteed to work.  They are not maintained, since I don't
have access to the necessary hardware and software to do so:

     AIX
     Solaris SPARC
     Mac OSX
     OS400
     OS390

The following platforms/compilers are considered the core platforms and
are built on a regular to semi-regular basis:

     XP/Vista with MS Visual Studio 2005 (MSVC8) 32-bit and 64-bit(x64)
     XP/Vista with MS Visual Studio 2008 (MSVC9) 32-bit and 64-bit(x64)
     Solaris x86 using GCC 32-bit and 64-bit
     Solaris x86 using Sun Workshop 12 32-bit and 64-bit
     HP-UX 11i PA-RISC with GCC 32-bit only
     HP-UX 11i Itanium with GCC 32-bit only
     HP-UX 11i PA-RISC with aCC 32-bit and 64-bit
     HP-UX 11i Itanium with aCC 32-bit and 64-bit
     Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and 8.04 with GCC 32-bit and 64-bit.
     Cygwin 32-bit only

The following platforms should be OK, but are not regularly tested:

     OpenBSD with GCC
     NetBSD with GCC
     FreeBSD with GCC

I would appreciate any feedback on this plan.

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Announcement/Poll: Complier and platform support for Xalan-

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
shathawa@e-z.net wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Continued support of (MSVC 7.1) is required until after(MSVC 8.0) has
> a stable release.
>
> I support projects with Unisys, State of Oregon, and consult with
> project development in many states.  The Xalan and Xerces libraries are
> in common use.  I do not want (MSVC 7.1) deprecated until there is a
> stable release that supports both (MSVC 7.1) and (MSVC 8.0).
Hi Steven,

Deprecated means a feature will be there for at least one public release
before it is no longer supported.  Also, the project files will remain
in the repository, and you are free to offer patches to keep them working.

> Please do not allow (MSVC 7.1) to be deprecated until after (MSVC 8.0)
> has been released and stable.  We need a stable migration path to
> support platform dependencies in numerous system infrastructure
> integration projects.  Xalan/Xerces compatibility is not our only
> issue for using (MSVC 7.1), albiet an important one.
>
> Xalan-c 1.10.0 is the stable release we are using, supported with
> Xerces-c 2.7.   I know that Xerces-c 2.8 has been released with (MSVC 8.0)
> support.  Our development question is when will Xalan-c have a stable
> and published release that is supported with (MSVC 8.0)?
There will be a release based on Xerces-C 3.0, with source code
compatibility and testing with Xerces-C 2.8.  At this point, I don't
believe I will be providing any binaries, because the overhead of
building, testing and packaging them is pretty daunting.

> I have attempted some upgrades of Xalan to support the (MSVC 8.0)
> and MS Studio .NET 2005 platforms and have seen numerous infrastructure
> deprecation issues between (MSVC 7.1 and MSVC 8.0).  I also would like
> access to the development code base to help with and test the
> MSVC 8.0 upgrade and integration.
The latest SVN is more stable than the Xalan-C 1.10 release, because
there have been a number of bug fixes.  I've also added support for
VS2005 and VS2008, with both x86 and x64 support.

The latest source is always available by checking the latest source code
out of the repository, and I encourage you to download the code and test
it in your environment.

> We have code development library efforts that use both Linux and Microsoft
> development platforms.  Some of our projects have a 2-3 year development
> effort.
As I noted before, I welcome contributions, including maintenance for
any platforms you require.  I am one person, and have limited time to
devote to this effort.  Unfortunately, Microsoft's project files are
time-consuming to maintain, and they've made the unfortunate decision
not to support backward compatibility.

Dave