Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Han, Shirley" <Sh...@CMCElectronics.ca> on 2004/02/17 22:09:02 UTC

CVS & Subversion evaluation

Hello folks,

CMC is in the process of evaluating CVS and Subversion. I know there are many experienced user in both CVS and Subversion here. Can any one share your experience (good or bad) and give comparisons between CVS and Subversion?

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shirley Han

Software Technology Group
CMC Electronics Inc.
415 Legget Dr.
Kanata K2K 2B2
Tel: (613) 592-7400 ext.2050

Re: CVS & Subversion evaluation

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Han, Shirley wrote:

> CMC is in the process of evaluating CVS and Subversion. I know there are
> many experienced user in both CVS and Subversion here. Can any one share
> your experience (good or bad) and give comparisons between CVS and
> Subversion?

Basically, if your choices are _only_ CVS and Subversion, I cannot think
of _any_ good reason to choose CVS, unless you need support/integration
with some tool/IDE/OS/etc that Subversion does not yet integrate with.

Subversion is basically CVS++, and those plusses do make a big difference,
particularly support for versioning directories, tracking renames, and
atomic commits.  I've also found branching to be easier with Subversion,
though once it has history-sensitive merging, it'll be even better.

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com

Re: CVS & Subversion evaluation

Posted by Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <as...@wxs.nl>.
-On [20040217 23:12], Han, Shirley (Shirley.Han@CMCElectronics.ca) wrote:
>CMC is in the process of evaluating CVS and Subversion. I know there
>are many experienced user in both CVS and Subversion here. Can any one
>share your experience (good or bad) and give comparisons between CVS
>and Subversion?

I have done a lot of CVS repository administration for some (big) open
source projects.

In effect as soon as you want to do something funky with CVS you need to
do 'repo copies': where an administrator takes the current ,v files and
verbatim copies them to a new location whereupon the previous files can
finally be removed.

CVS does have elegant distribution programs available in the form of
CVSup and CVSync.

Let me phrase a question in return:

what are your requirements?

CVS works for some people, SVN for others, arch/TLA for yet other
people, and I am sure there's people who actually find a use for
BitKeeper.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors...

Re: CVS & Subversion evaluation

Posted by Early Ehlinger <ea...@respower.com>.
On 19 Feb 2004 kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Early Ehlinger <ea...@respower.com> writes:
> > SVN has a few weird quirks - there does not appear to be a simple way to
> > make a non-working-copy-directory into a working-copy-directory aside from
> > doing a checkout, for example.
>
> CVS has this?

Honestly, I don't know.  As I said, I'm transitioning from SourceSafe and
my experience with CVS has been, er, minimal.

In SourceSafe, the normal approach is to set a "working directory"
property for a folder in the repository.  Actually, it's in the local
config file for the repository - probably somewhere in the windows
registry.  But you don't do anything to the working-copy-directory per se.

In any event, I still believe that something like this would be very nice:

$ mkdir svn
$ cd svn
$ svn switch https://foo/repos/ .
and not have it say this:
svn: '.' is not a working copy

A couple of other minor quirks that were brought to my attention by my
teammate:

$ mkdir tmp
$ cd tmp
$ svn -N co https://foo/repos/ .

Does not create any child folders (according to my teammate, the CVS
equivalent does).  What this means is that if you then do something like
this:

$ svn -N co https://foo/repos/ .

and repos only has project folders beneath it, then the following
statement will give you an empty result:

$ ls

What he was expecting was to be able to do the svn -N co..., and then use
ls to figure out which folders to co afterwards - thereby avoiding a co of
the whole repository.  Here's the workaround we've pieced together for
that one:

$ svn -N co https://foo/repos/ .
Checked out revision /n/.

$ svn list -r COMMITTED
folder/
folder2/

$ svn -N co https://foo/repos/folder
svn: Working copy 'folder' not locked
  # NOTE: I believe this error message should not occur, but
  # it's easy enough to get around this:

$ cd folder

$ svn -N co https://foo/repos/folder .
  # (or)
$ svn -N update

One big drawback to this workaround is you have to compose the correct URL
all the time.  It would be nice to have svn -N -relative co {folder} - and
svn would take the URL from svn info and simply append {folder} to it.

--
Best Regards,
- Early Ehlinger - CEO - ResPower, Inc - 866-737-7697 - www.ResPower.com

Re: CVS & Subversion evaluation

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by Early Ehlinger <ea...@respower.com>.
I just recently made the switch from Visual SourceSafe to SubVersion, but
have used CVS from time to time when working with open-source projects.

SVN has a few weird quirks - there does not appear to be a simple way to
make a non-working-copy-directory into a working-copy-directory aside from
doing a checkout, for example.

However, I have found it to be superior to CVS in the following ways:

  1) Feature-set - ability to version meta data, names, deletes, etc.
  2) Speed - ability to only send diffs during checkin
  3) Extensibility - properties and hooks are available for you to
     build in event handling mechanisms.

All in all, I'm quite impressed with SVN so far.

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi Shirley,

> CMC is in the process of evaluating CVS and Subversion. I know there
> are many experienced user in both CVS and Subversion here. Can any
> one share your experience (good or bad) and give comparisons between
> CVS and Subversion?
We used CVS for 4 years here, before we switched to subversion in October
2003.
To make it short we did never reget the switch untill now, and I think
we will not reget it any time. We even notice an increase in productivity
of the individual developers since we use Subversion. In mid of 2003 we
reached a point where we found that using CVS any longer would cause us
trouble because of the missing features (especially losing history when
moving files, not able to delete directories whithout destroying older
branches etc.)

My list of Pros and Cons
Subversion:
+ Renaming of folders/files
+ better binary handling
+ atomic commits
+ solid perspective of ongoing development of subversion ;-)
+ easier, more obvious branching
- slower than CVS

CVS:
- lacks all the goodies of Subversion
- no substantial perspective to be improved
+ faster than subversion
+ yet more tools available, where the subversion tools
  around are better from my POV.

Roland