Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jo...@bt.com on 2011/01/22 01:53:47 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_ssl, erratic performance

Solaris 10
Apache version: 2.2.11 & 2.2.17 (32 &64 bit)

We recently moved our production webserver from a sparc platform (T2000) to an x86/64 platform (x2270-m2) and we have noticed an erratic response time for downloads of files using SSL. This seems to randomly occur with any files about 10k or larger. For instance, I have been using a test file of 140K, and it can take 0.5 or 4.8 seconds to transfer. When using the sparc platform, it always only takes 0.5 seconds.

I noticed this as we are using an external monitoring system (Gomez.com) and we started seeing these wildly varying times for transaction processing.

I have tried a cut down SSL setup for testing, and examined every directive and option, and I can't make sense of the problem. I'm using the following configuration string, and I'd be happy to include the configuration setups..

./configure --prefix=/app/www/apache-2.2.11_32 --with-mpm=worker --enable-ssl --with-apr=/app/apr-1.3.3-32 --with-apr-util=/app/apr-1.3.3-32 --enable-mods-shared="headers expires deflate"

Server version: Apache/2.2.17 (Unix)
Server built:   Jan  5 2011 15:56:01
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:25
Server loaded:  APR 1.3.3, APR-Util 1.3.4
Compiled using: APR 1.3.3, APR-Util 1.3.4
Architecture:   32-bit
Server MPM:     Worker
  threaded:     yes (fixed thread count)
    forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/worker"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/app/www/apache-2.2.17_32"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/app/www/apache-2.2.17_32/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

I can move the bare-bones configuration between the sparc and x86 platforms and get normal response on the sparc, and irregular on the x86.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Newton

RE: [users@httpd] mod_ssl, erratic performance

Posted by jo...@bt.com.
On Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:24 AM,
>Am 27.01.2011 16:34, schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>> On 22.01.11 00:53, john.3.newton@bt.com wrote:
>>>
>>> We recently moved our production webserver from a sparc platform (T2000)
>>> to an x86/64 platform (x2270-m2) and we have noticed an erratic response
>>> time for downloads of files using SSL. This seems to randomly occur with
>>> any files about 10k or larger. For instance, I have been using a test file
>>> of 140K, and it can take 0.5 or 4.8 seconds to transfer. When using the
>>> sparc platform, it always only takes 0.5 seconds.
>>>
>>> I noticed this as we are using an external monitoring system (Gomez.com)
>>> and we started seeing these wildly varying times for transaction
>>> processing.
>>>
>>> I have tried a cut down SSL setup for testing, and examined every
>>> directive and option, and I can't make sense of the problem. I'm using the
>>> following configuration string, and I'd be happy to include the
>>> configuration setups..
>>>
>>> I can move the bare-bones configuration between the sparc and x86
>>> platforms and get normal response on the sparc, and irregular on the x86.
>>
>> random device can make a huge difference. What do you use for random data?
>> /dev/random or /dev/urandom? If the rofmer, try the latter if it helps.
>
>Good point. But to have some prove at hand, don't change the random
>device yet - instead monitor /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail with
>e.g. watch. If your're going of of random bytes - ka-ching :)
>
>Regards,
>Edgar

Good idea. I was wondering if not enough entropy was the problem, but didn't know how to verify that. I'll give your suggestion a go when I'm testing connections next, and see what it does.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll let you know what I find out.

Posted by Edgar Frank <ef...@email.de>.
Am 27.01.2011 16:34, schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 22.01.11 00:53, john.3.newton@bt.com wrote:
>>
>> We recently moved our production webserver from a sparc platform (T2000)
>> to an x86/64 platform (x2270-m2) and we have noticed an erratic response
>> time for downloads of files using SSL. This seems to randomly occur with
>> any files about 10k or larger. For instance, I have been using a test file
>> of 140K, and it can take 0.5 or 4.8 seconds to transfer. When using the
>> sparc platform, it always only takes 0.5 seconds.
>>
>> I noticed this as we are using an external monitoring system (Gomez.com)
>> and we started seeing these wildly varying times for transaction
>> processing.
>>
>> I have tried a cut down SSL setup for testing, and examined every
>> directive and option, and I can't make sense of the problem. I'm using the
>> following configuration string, and I'd be happy to include the
>> configuration setups..
>>
>> I can move the bare-bones configuration between the sparc and x86
>> platforms and get normal response on the sparc, and irregular on the x86.
>
> random device can make a huge difference. What do you use for random data?
> /dev/random or /dev/urandom? If the rofmer, try the latter if it helps.

Good point. But to have some prove at hand, don't change the random
device yet - instead monitor /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail with
e.g. watch. If your're going of of random bytes - ka-ching :)

Regards,
Edgar

RE: [users@httpd] mod_ssl, erratic performance

Posted by jo...@bt.com.
<SNIP>

>random device can make a huge difference. What do you use for random data?
>/dev/random or /dev/urandom? If the rofmer, try the latter if it helps.
>--
>Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/

Matus -

I have actually tried both, as well as builtin. I have also varied these based on startup or connect. I didn't see any difference in performance.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 22.01.11 00:53, john.3.newton@bt.com wrote:

> We recently moved our production webserver from a sparc platform (T2000)
> to an x86/64 platform (x2270-m2) and we have noticed an erratic response
> time for downloads of files using SSL. This seems to randomly occur with
> any files about 10k or larger. For instance, I have been using a test file
> of 140K, and it can take 0.5 or 4.8 seconds to transfer. When using the
> sparc platform, it always only takes 0.5 seconds.
>
> I noticed this as we are using an external monitoring system (Gomez.com)
> and we started seeing these wildly varying times for transaction
> processing.
>
> I have tried a cut down SSL setup for testing, and examined every
> directive and option, and I can't make sense of the problem. I'm using the
> following configuration string, and I'd be happy to include the
> configuration setups..
>
> I can move the bare-bones configuration between the sparc and x86
> platforms and get normal response on the sparc, and irregular on the x86.

random device can make a huge difference. What do you use for random data?
/dev/random or /dev/urandom? If the rofmer, try the latter if it helps.
Windows found: (R)emove, (E)rase, (D)elete

Re: [users@httpd] Status 3221225480 and restart

Posted by Wo...@geigerus.com.
Sorry!

Did not mean to!

Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>
01/27/2011 10:32 AM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject

On 24.01.11 11:09, Wolfgang.Miska@geigerus.com wrote:
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> From: Wolfgang.Miska@geigerus.com
> Subject: [users@httpd] Status 3221225480 and restart
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am running Apache 2.2.17 on a Windows XP and repeatedly I get the
> following message:
>
> [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225480 --
> Restarting.
>
> And Apache restarts.
>
> What does status 3221225480 mean?

Is this somehow related to the SSL problem you were replying to?
If not, please stop hijacking threads - send a new mail, not a reply.
LSD will make your ECS screen display 16.7 million colors

Re: [users@httpd] Status 3221225480 and restart

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 24.01.11 11:09, Wolfgang.Miska@geigerus.com wrote:
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> From: Wolfgang.Miska@geigerus.com
> Subject: [users@httpd] Status 3221225480 and restart
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am running Apache 2.2.17 on a Windows XP and repeatedly I get the
> following message:
>
> [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225480 --
> Restarting.
>
> And Apache restarts.
>
> What does status 3221225480 mean?

Is this somehow related to the SSL problem you were replying to?
If not, please stop hijacking threads - send a new mail, not a reply.
LSD will make your ECS screen display 16.7 million colors

[users@httpd] Status 3221225480 and restart

Posted by Wo...@geigerus.com.
Hi All,

I am running Apache 2.2.17 on a Windows XP and repeatedly I get the
following message:

[notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225480 --
Restarting.

And Apache restarts.

What does status 3221225480 mean?

Wolfgang

RE: [users@httpd] mod_ssl, erratic performance

Posted by jo...@bt.com.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have KeepAlive On, and it doesn't make a difference.

Do you have any other suggestions?

John Newton

I found that turning KeepAlive On makes a huge difference to SSL
performance (or performance in general).

Posted by Devraj Mukherjee <de...@gmail.com>.