Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carl Bacher <cb...@wellinx.com> on 2001/10/19 21:21:34 UTC

WAR auto-deploy & context permissions

I'm trying to create contexts for the developers at my site by simply
posting the war file, eg. mycontext.war, in the webapps directory and
restarting tomcat, which creates and automatically extracts it to a
context directory named mycontext.

It works fine, but the permissions on the directories and files are all
only writeable / executable to the owner, which is root (presumably
because tomcat was started as root). They are also all in the root
group.

Is there a way to configure tomcat such that, when the war file is
extracted, the expanded context directory hierarchy has the permissions
it was either jarred up with, or uses an owner/group other than root so
that the permissions can be updated by someone in that group?

I'm currently just specifying the context in the server.xml file,
creating the directory in webapps and extracting the war file manually,
which works just fine.

Thanks, Carl

Re: WAR auto-deploy & context permissions

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Carl Bacher at cbacher@wellinx.com wrote:

> I'm trying to create contexts for the developers at my site by simply
> posting the war file, eg. mycontext.war, in the webapps directory and
> restarting tomcat, which creates and automatically extracts it to a
> context directory named mycontext.
>
> It works fine, but the permissions on the directories and files are all
> only writeable / executable to the owner, which is root (presumably
> because tomcat was started as root). They are also all in the root
> group.
>
> Is there a way to configure tomcat such that, when the war file is
> extracted, the expanded context directory hierarchy has the permissions
> it was either jarred up with, or uses an owner/group other than root so
> that the permissions can be updated by someone in that group?
>
> I'm currently just specifying the context in the server.xml file,
> creating the directory in webapps and extracting the war file manually,
> which works just fine.

Nope... It's a limitation of the VM... The only thing you can do is unjar
your WAR files manually, giving the right permissions to all files so that
both your users and the user running tomcat can read them, and go...

    Pier