Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by aravasai <ar...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/29 23:44:29 UTC

Maximum limit for akka.frame.size be greater than 500 MB ?

I have a spark job running on 2 terabytes of data which creates more than
30,000 partitions. As a result, the spark job fails with the error
"Map output statuses were 170415722 bytes which exceeds spark.akka.frameSize
52428800 bytes" (For 1 TB data)
However, when I increase the akka.frame.size to around 500 MB, the job hangs
with no further progress.

So, what is the ideal or maximum limit that i can assign akka.frame.size so
that I do not get the error of map output statuses exceeding limit for large
chunks of data ?

Is coalescing the data into smaller number of partitions the only solution
to this problem? Is there any better way than coalescing many intermediate
rdd's in program ?

My driver memory: 10G
Executor memory: 36G
Executor memory overhead : 3G

Re: Maximum limit for akka.frame.size be greater than 500 MB ?

Posted by aravasai <ar...@gmail.com>.
Currently, I am using 1.6.1 version. I continue to use it as my current
code is heavily reliant on RDD's and not dataframes. Also, because 1.6.1 is
stabler than newer versions.

The input data is user behavior data of 20 fields and 1 billion records (~
1.5 TB) . I am trying to group by user id and calculate some users
statistics. But, I guess the number of mapper tasks are too high resulting
in akka.frame.size error.

1) Does akka.frame.size has to be proportionately increased with size of
data which indirectly affects the number of partitions?
2) Or do the  huge number of mappers in the code (It may not be prevented)
result in the frame size error?

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.