Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2009/07/21 23:10:43 UTC

Error building the Sandbox project WhitespaceTokenizer due to wrong dependency in the POM?

The POM for this specifies
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
            <artifactId>PearPackagingMavenPlugin</artifactId>
            <version>2.2.2-incubating</version>
            <scope>provided</scope>
        </dependency>

Because I blew away my local maven repo at some point and rebuilt it -
it rebuilt with version 2.3.0-incubating-SANDBOX

There are lots of potential "fixes" for this:

1) put our 2.2.2-incubating jars somewhere where they will be found (are
they already? is my maven setup messed up?)
2) change the dependency here to allow a minimum level, but take later
levels too?
3) not update the version for Jars that haven't changed (I'm guessing
here that the PearPackagingMavenPlugin hasn't had an update for 2.3.0
but perhaps this is wrong... )

Maybe you have even better alternatives ;-)

My temp fix was to change the POM in my checked out version of the
WhitespaceTokenizer, to specify depending on the
2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT version.

Please chime in with your considered best practices here!  -Marshall

Re: Error building the Sandbox project WhitespaceTokenizer due to wrong dependency in the POM?

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Michael Baessler wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> The POM for this specifies
>>>         <dependency>
>>>             <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
>>>             <artifactId>PearPackagingMavenPlugin</artifactId>
>>>             <version>2.2.2-incubating</version>
>>>             <scope>provided</scope>
>>>         </dependency>
>>>

>>> Because I blew away my local maven repo at some point and rebuilt it -
>>> it rebuilt with version 2.3.0-incubating-SANDBOX
>>>
>>> There are lots of potential "fixes" for this:
>>>
>>> 1) put our 2.2.2-incubating jars somewhere where they will be found (are
>>> they already? is my maven setup messed up?)
>>> 2) change the dependency here to allow a minimum level, but take later
>>> levels too?
>>> 3) not update the version for Jars that haven't changed (I'm guessing
>>> here that the PearPackagingMavenPlugin hasn't had an update for 2.3.0
>>> but perhaps this is wrong... )
>>>
>>> Maybe you have even better alternatives ;-)
>>>
>>> My temp fix was to change the POM in my checked out version of the
>>> WhitespaceTokenizer, to specify depending on the
>>> 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT version.
>>>
>>> Please chime in with your considered best practices here!  -Marshall
>> I think the sandbox dependencies should be at the same
>> level as the project itself, i.e., 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.
>> And it's not just the tokenizer, quite a few sandbox projects
>> have that issue.  I'll fix this with
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1384
>>
>> --Thilo
>
> I don't think it is good to have the dependency set to the same level as the project itself. If
> doing that, everyone that will use the Sandbox components will also have to compile the UIMA core
> project. I think if someone use the UIMA binaries from the download page, it should also be possible
> to compile the Sandbox components with dependencies that are available in the Maven repository.

When I wrote "the sandbox dependencies", I meant the dependencies
that the WhitespaceTokenizer has on other sandbox projects.  I'm
not sure I agree your reasoning for the core stuff (because it
means that the sandbox trunk must always wait for new UIMA releases
before it can depend on any improvements), but I left that alone
for now.  I have updated said "sandbox dependencies", though.
Otherwise you can't build the sandbox out of svn (or at least I
don't know how).

--Thilo

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.