Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org> on 2019/03/15 14:38:45 UTC

[VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 1)

Hi all,

I have created a build for Apache Calcite 1.19.0, release candidate 1.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this release.

Since RC 0, we have fixed the following issues:
* [CALCITE-2925] Exclude maven-wrapper.jar from source distribution

You can read the release notes here:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/branch-1.19/site/_docs/history.md

The commit to be voted upon:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=calcite.git;a=commit;h=ad11340e5c5abddaa6f2729c9faa2043c4643a8d

Its hash is ad11340e5c5abddaa6f2729c9faa2043c4643a8d.

The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/calcite/apache-calcite-1.19.0-rc1/

The hashes of the artifacts are as follows:
src.tar.gz.sha256
8dbe7e81d955019d78e7de270089fb42726c827f719bfd5a5d11f734fac7face

A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecalcite-1055/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/krisden.asc

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Calcite 1.19.0.

The vote is open for the next 96 hours (due to the weekend) and passes if a
majority of
at least three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Calcite 1.19.0
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Here is my vote:
+1 (binding)

Kevin Risden

Re: [VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Checked hashes, KEYS, LICENSE, NOTICE, README; checked that contents
of tar match git; compiled and ran tests using JDK 11 on Ubuntu linux.

Verified that maven-wrapper.jar has gone.

Julian

Re: Druid/MongoDB Integration test failures was: [VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
Thanks Kevin! Given that it seems like these failures existed in the
1.18.0 release and they do not appear to be bugs in Calcite, but
rather stale tests, I would be inclined to go ahead with the release.
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Sereda <an...@sereda.cc>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Sereda <an...@sereda.cc>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.

[CANCEL][VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
RC 1 is cancelled due to CALCITE-2929 and CALCITE-2932.

I plan to create a new RC for 1.19.0 that will include CALCITE-2931,
CALCITE-2932, and CALCITE-2929 when they are finished. The identified JIRAs
have PRs so should be possible to resolve soon. I have marked those JIRAs
as blockers of CALCITE-2911 - Release Calcite 1.19.0.

Kevin Risden

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
Thanks to all those who tested RC 1.

Triaged issues in RC 1:

   - CALCITE-2918 - JdbcTest / JdbcAdapterTest - Postgres
      - existing issue with operator precedence
      - thanks Stamatis Zampetakis and Zoltan Haindrich for helping track
      down root cause
      - no PR - tagged for 1.20.0 since it is an existing underlying issue
      with operator precedence

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.
Hello,

I have run Hive tests - and it looks good.
I right now know about 2 things which might worth mentioning:

* CALCITE-2929 is about an issue which was noticed in Hive recently, namely:
   The expression CAST(col as integer) IS NULL is reduced to (col IS NULL) which might discard errors/etc (suppose that col contains the value: 'xxx').
   For the full story: in Hive CAST('xxx' as integer) results in NULL value; so in that case even the outcome changes.
   This have worked in 1.17.0 and before; the patch which broke this gone into 1.18.0 - however if someone is also using the linq4j parts/etc - will not see any difference
- since that part is also able to discard/hide casting errors in these cases.
* I've been using some jenkins jobs to run calcite tests - and in yesterday's builds TpchTest started hanging (and timeouted after 10h) even in master branch builds
   I've run all tests locally on my machine - they passed; I right now doubt that it would be a real issue...it could be some platform/machine/configuration dependent issue.

cheers,
Zoltan

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.