Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Oleg Konovalov <OK...@nyx.com> on 2011/04/18 21:01:14 UTC

Can't create partition

Hi,

I am completely new to LDAP and ApacheDS,
so if I am asking something silly, please bare with me.

I am trying to create Single Sign-on layer for few web apps using Spring Security3, CAS, ApacheDS
as per "Spring Security 3" book, ch.10.
(had many problems, latest - with CAS, but that is besides the scope here).

I changed configuration to use external ApacheDS on localhost,
Installed ApacheDS 1.5.7 & Studio 1.5.3
Tried to import sample LDIF file and on first node got an exception:

Error while importing LDIF

- [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request

   javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: [LDAP: error code 32 -

NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for

Add Request : ClientEntry

     dn: dc=jbcppets,dc=com

     objectClass: extensibleObject

     objectClass: domain

     objectClass: top

     dc: jbcppets

: ERR_268 Cannot find a partition for dc=jbcppets,dc=com];

remaining name 'dc=jbcppets,dc=com'

         at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.mapErrorCode(Unknown Source)

         at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)

         at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)

         at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_createSubcontext(Unknown Source)

Googled up a few interesting replies to that problem, most said that need to create Partition first with 'dc=jbcppets,dc=com'

So I tried many times to add segments like that to server.xml  partitions  section,
Following: http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/143-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html
Restart server, but still do NOT get new namingContexts in Root DSE.

<jdbmPartition id="sevenSeas" suffix="o=sevenSeas" />

      <jdbmPartition id="jbcppets" cacheSize="100" suffix="dc=jbcppets,dc=com" optimizerEnabled="true"
                syncOnWrite="true">
                <indexedAttributes>
                <jdbmIndex attributeId="dc" cacheSize="100"/>
                                <jdbmIndex attributeId="ou" cacheSize="100"/>
                                <jdbmIndex attributeId="krb5PrincipalName" cacheSize="100"/>
                                <jdbmIndex attributeId="uid" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="objectClass" cacheSize="100"/>
                </indexedAttributes>
      </jdbmPartition>

      <jdbmPartition id="jbcppets" cacheSize="100" suffix="dc=jbcppets,dc=com" optimizerEnabled="true"  syncOnWrite="true"/>

Interestingly, although originally for  dc=example,dc=com  there was a namingContexts in right panel,
there was no entry in RootDSE (as per picture in documentation above),
well I added NewContextEntry, so now looks like in the doc.

Also tried to rename existing dc=example,dc=com   into example2:     dc=example2,dc=com  there, restarted server,
but it still shows  dc=example,dc=com  ,  not example2.
Is it cached ?

Cleared IE cache.  Using Win XP.  No difference, still same problem.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Please help !

(I am attaching my full server.xml.)
TIA,
Oleg.

</pre>

<P><hr size=1></P>
<P><STRONG><font color=green>Please consider the environment before printing this email.</font></STRONG></P>

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment to it is privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete it from your system.  Thank you.  NYSE Euronext.

</STRONG></P><pre>

Re: Can't create partition

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Oleg,

In your previous mail, you said:
> Started Apache Directories Studio,
> Started Apache DS from there.

Does this mean you started an Apache DS server instance you created within Apache Directory Studio via the "Servers" view?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

RE: Can't create partition

Re: Can't create partition

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Oleg,

On 19 avr. 2011, at 18:05, Oleg Konovalov wrote:

> Wow, I did not realize that there is built-in ApacheDS server in Studio,
> though I am now connecting to my standalone one (on localhost).
> It is confusing, they should have marked it as built-in.

Actually it is on the homepage of the Apache Directory Studio website:
> *Embedded ApacheDS*
> Apache Directory Studio bundles the latest version of the LDAPV3 certified ApacheDS. Creating and launching a new LDAP server now takes less than 10 seconds!

The idea was to be able to start an LDAP Server without requiring an additional installation from the user.

> I can not find its server.xml.  Is it running on Tomcat inside Studio's Eclipse ?

There is no Tomcat inside Studio.
Each server defined within Studio has a dedicated (somehow hidden) folder in the plugin's settings folder.
This folder is referenced in the "Properties" of the server, accessible via the context menu.

> I assume that when I go to Windows Services and start ApacheDS from there,
> It is external one on localhost, correct ?

Indeed.

> It is there I was able to create a new partition.
> Yes, created new Connection to it.
>
> So you are saying that since embedded one doesn't have server.xml, I can't possibly create partition there ?

Don't worry, it has a dedicated server.xml. See above.
You can even double click on the server to edit the configuration graphically within Studio.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

RE: Can't create partition

Re: Can't create partition