Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/06/24 16:06:36 UTC

Google search without javascript

Hi forresters,

FWIW, here's a slightly different snippet of the google search thing which
doesn't require javascript:

<form action="http://www.google.com/search">
Search xml.apache.org:
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" VALUE="xml.apache.org">
<INPUT TYPE="text" name="as_q" size="31" maxlength="255" value="">
<INPUT type="submit" name="btnG" VALUE="Google Search">
</form>

On my mozilla 1.0 / linux mandrake 8.1, for example, the current form at
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ does not work, nothing happens when I click
the search button (although java script otherwise works).

--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.

Re: Google search without javascript

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
At 17:30 24/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Bert,
>The search form at http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/index.html indeed works on
>my mozilla 1.0, whereas the one on http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ does not.

Maybe you didn't notice, but there is a distinct difference between the two
sites.  The one on Krisalis is created autmagically every day from the data
in the Forrest CVS head.  The one on xml.apache.org usus the old skin and
has some limitations.  Compare the two with Netscpae 4.08 or even Netscape
4.7 and you'll see what I mean.

Bert (my full name, no abbreviation ;-))

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
It's indeed a little different compared to the current setting.  You have
to check out the most up to date skin (the bert skin) to see the search in
action.  You can check it out at
http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/index.html.  There are still several issues
to be solved before Forrest really goes live on xml.apache.org/forrest.

Since we worked so hard on the backward browser compatibility issues in the
bert skin, it is indeed better to use this non-JavaScript version.
I'll check it out and adjust the bert skin accordingly if it has the same
functionality.

Bert