Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Kevin Moore <km...@esntech.com> on 2021/02/09 19:24:29 UTC

Apache Impala installation on CentOS 8

Hi Folks,

I'm attempting to install Impala 3.4.0 across two nodes using centos 8 as
the operating system. I've been able to work my way through the issues but
am not convinced something hasn't been missed considering the error
messages. Two commands listed below have been tried and they both result in
the same error message listed below.

./buildall.sh -notests -start_minicluster -start_impala_cluster

./buildall.sh -notests -so is returning the following error messages:

.

.

.

.

.

Finished downloading Python dependencies

>>> Downloading and extracting toolchain dependencies.

INFO:bootstrap_virtualenv:Creating python virtualenv

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File
"/home/impala/apache-impala-3.4.0/bin/../infra/python/bootstrap_virtualenv.p
y", line 394, in <module>

    setup_virtualenv_if_not_exists()

  File
"/home/impala/apache-impala-3.4.0/bin/../infra/python/bootstrap_virtualenv.p
y", line 368, in setup_virtualenv_if_not_exists

    create_virtualenv()

  File
"/home/impala/apache-impala-3.4.0/bin/../infra/python/bootstrap_virtualenv.p
y", line 87, in create_virtualenv

    exec_cmd([python_cmd, find_file(build_dir, "virtualenv*",
"virtualenv.py"), "--quiet",

  File
"/home/impala/apache-impala-3.4.0/bin/../infra/python/bootstrap_virtualenv.p
y", line 188, in find_file

    raise Exception("No file found at %s" % path)

Exception: No file found at /tmp/tmpfzzuqkvl/virtualenv*/virtualenv.py

ERROR in /home/impala/apache-impala-3.4.0/bin/impala-python at line 31:

Generated:
/home/impala/apache-impala-3.4.0/logs/extra_junit_xml_logs/generate_junitxml
.buildall.impala-python.20210209_18_12_00.xml

I've confirmed the one file is missing, there are other files in the
directory specified. Has anyone successfully installed Apache-Impala on this
platform? Here are the details:

Centos8

Python 3.6

Apache Ant 1.10.9

Apache-maven-3-6-3

apache-hive-3.1.2

hadoop-3.2.1

virtualenv - 20.4.2

impala-config.sh and bootstrap_system.sh have both been run successfully.

Has anyone gotten Impala to work in this environment and if so, would you be
willing to share what you did? I'm trying to avoid reverse engineering this
entire process - if possible..

Thanks All,

Kevin

Kevin M. Moore

Engineering Sciences & Technology Inc.

P.O. Box 5648

Gardena, California  90249-5648

310.327.0443

Re: Apache Impala installation on CentOS 8

Posted by Laszlo Gaal <la...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kevin,

I'd recommend the bootstrap procedure described on the Impala public Wiki
at [1].
The page is slightly outdated in that bin/bootstrap_system.sh (thus all the
other bootstrap_*.sh scripts
that call it for system setup) now supports a CentOS 7 and 8, and Ubuntu
18.04 in addition to
Ubuntu 16.04. It works inside Docker containers as well.

You should be able to run the 3-step procedure described at [1]. You could
also run bin/bootstrap_system.sh
instead of bin/bootstrap_development.sh: that would stop after setting up
the system prerequisites, allowing
you to start the build procedure at your convenience.

There is a specific precondition for Centos 8 though: you should use Centos
8.2 or higher. Impala is not supported
on CentOS 8.0 and 8.1 because of IMPALA-9985.
Also, the Impala virtualenv requires Python 2.7 currently, but
bootstrap_system.sh will take care of that.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other problems or questions.

  - LaszloG

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IMPALA/Bootstrapping+an+Impala+Development+Environment+From+Scratch