Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr> on 2004/02/03 11:56:00 UTC

Pools and max-objects

Hi cocooners !

Interaction between max-objects defined in cocoon.xconf and the pool-max of poolable
components is not very clear for me. Thanks for bringing me the light :).

Is max-objects the great max of object instances that can live in cocoon, ignoring the
pool-max defined for each object ?
In that case for exemple, if I have 5 poolable objects with pool-max set to 32 and
max-objects set to 100, will I never fill all the pools to max ? If 100 instances of my
objects are created, i'll never get others ?

I've read in the wiki [1] that the max-objects must be set from 4000 to 8000 in
production, that i think well, is more correct than the 100 defaut...

But with a minimal build (datasource, portal and 1 or 2 more blocks), there is at least 5
poolable objects with pool-max set to 32, that could (on heavy load i agree) create up to
160 objects, but with max-objects set to 100, that could never happen, no ?

Thanks for your answers !

[1] : http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformance

--
Olivier BILLARD

Re: Pools and max-objects

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.
Ok great that's what I was wondering.
Thanks a lot Geoff !

--
Olivier

Re: Pools and max-objects

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Re: Pools and max-objects

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Olivier Billard wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> But what's the use of this transient store, then ?
> For cacheable pipeline content ?

Just remembered that the transient-store/persistent-store relationship
has changed since that wiki page was probably written - doesn't affect
the pool issue, but if you now start to investigate the memory settings
for to stores you may notice differences which ought to be documented
better.  See a current cocoon.xconf and the recent archives of the dev
list for more details.

Re: Pools and max-objects

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.
Hi Geoff,

Re: Pools and max-objects

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Olivier Billard wrote:

> Hi cocooners !
>
> Interaction between max-objects defined in cocoon.xconf and the pool-max
> of poolable components is not very clear for me. Thanks for bringing me
> the light :).
>
> Is max-objects the great max of object instances that can live in
> cocoon, ignoring the pool-max defined for each object ?
> In that case for exemple, if I have 5 poolable objects with pool-max set
> to 32 and max-objects set to 100, will I never fill all the pools to max
> ? If 100 instances of my objects are created, i'll never get others ?
>
> I've read in the wiki [1] that the max-objects must be set from 4000 to
> 8000 in production, that i think well, is more correct than the 100
> defaut...
>
> But with a minimal build (datasource, portal and 1 or 2 more blocks),
> there is at least 5 poolable objects with pool-max set to 32, that could
> (on heavy load i agree) create up to 160 objects, but with max-objects
> set to 100, that could never happen, no ?
>

> Thanks for your answers !
>
> [1] : http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformance

 From that page: "Make sure you set the "maxobjects" (cocoon.xconf) of