Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Senapati, Naresh (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <na...@ge.com> on 2014/02/10 14:33:19 UTC

Question

Hi,

We have Apache Tomcat 6.0.32 installed for our Trackwise application. It is accessed by web through a iplanet web server which redirects to the tomcat.
When the webserver was in Solaris the performance was good. We have migrated the webserver to Linux and the performance has gone down.

We would like to know if there is some compatibility concerns with Tomcat 6.0.32 and iplanet 7.15 which may be causing the degradation in performance.

Thanks,
Naresh Senapati

Re: Question

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

André,

On 2/10/14, 8:47 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> Senapati, Naresh (GE Healthcare, consultant) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have Apache Tomcat 6.0.32 installed for our Trackwise
>> application. It is accessed by web through a iplanet web server
>> which redirects to the tomcat. When the webserver was in Solaris
>> the performance was good. We have migrated the webserver to Linux
>> and the performance has gone down.
>>
>> We would like to know if there is some compatibility concerns
>> with Tomcat 6.0.32 and iplanet 7.15 which may be causing the
>> degradation in performance.
>>

> Summary of information provided :
>
> Server A                                      Server B
>
> Hardware : ??                                 Hardware : ?? OS:
> Solaris ??                                OS: Linux ?? JVM : ??
> JVM: ?? Tomcat 6.0.32                                 Tomcat
> 6.0.32 webserver : iplanet 7.15                      webserver :
> iplanet 7.15 webserver/tomat connector : ??
> webserver/tomat connector : ?? rating : "performance is good"
> rating : "performance has gone down"
>
> So far, the only real information seems to be that the Tomcat code
> on both servers is the same. So if there is a difference, it is not
> there.

My experience in the past with Solaris vs Linux comparisons was with
Sun hardware undeneath Solaris. We had a client complain when they
replaced their beefy Sun hardware with commodity Intel-based servers.
The Sun hardware also had SSL accelerator hardware which significantly
improved SSL performance. Obviously, there should have been no
confusion at the time.

To answer the OP's question, I know of no particular performance
issues with any Linux JVM versus Solaris JVM.

- -chris

Re: Question

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.