Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/28 16:04:38 UTC

Convenience releases

Hi all,

Now that 0.34.0 is out, I'd like to ship convenience releases in the for of
a PyPI.org release and a Docker image, ideally served on dockerhub.

Now we have a few blockers/concerns:

* as mentioned before, it looks like someone claimed "apache-superset" on
pypi.org, probably by mistake. https://pypi.org/user/cidiomar.dias.restoque/,
there's no process to re-claim it just yet, but folks seem to be working on
it here https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/1506. Anyone has the
ability to pull strings at pypi.org ? :)
* can we just use `superset` in pypi (which we own) or does it have to be
`apache-superset`?
* for a release to be convenient, we should ship our minified JS bundles,
but I'm afraid that forces us to craft a 600+ entries LICENSE file
dynamically. Workaround might be to add a `superset build` command that
would well build this stuff. Requires having npm/node and such, working on
some user-space dir as we should treat `site-packages` as be immutable. I'm
not sure if that's reasonable/doable
* about docker, I'm assuming similar licensing issues for images that
contain minified bundles (is that the case?), but it's probably ok to share
just a Dockerfile itself
* Maybe we should just automate the process that compiles the LICENSE file
with the 600 npm libs? I did a bit of work in that area before
https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/pull/5801

Thoughts?

Max

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
All,
I created a JIRA ticket here: https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues/284 <https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues/284> on the PyPA's issue tracker.  I'll follow up with this to see if we can get the apache-superset name assigned to us.
-- C

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Beto Dealmeida <ro...@dealmeida.net>.
I'll try to reach out to him.

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Stephanie Rivera <sr...@spotx.tv.INVALID>.
https://pypi.org/security/ ??

Cheers,

Stephanie

*Stephanie Rivera* |* Vice President, Data Intelligence*

8181 Arista Place | Broomfield, CO 80021

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spotxchange.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdlZjMtAvYRCQByfN6D_6PjZhSbSw>*Everyone
you will ever meet knows something you don't.*

<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropbox.com%2Fs%2F5se5ucpqodjsq1h%2Flinkedin.png&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdTHQrlDWywpW7VZVpwGJJdOBY-Wg>

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 10:24 AM Maxime Beauchemin <

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Stephanie Rivera <sr...@spotx.tv.INVALID>.
Good point!

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Convenience releases

Posted by Beto Dealmeida <ro...@dealmeida.net>.
On 8/28/19 9:04 AM, Maxime Beauchemin wrote:

> * as mentioned before, it looks like someone claimed "apache-superset" on
> pypi.org, probably by mistake.https://pypi.org/user/cidiomar.dias.restoque/,
> there's no process to re-claim it just yet, but folks seem to be working on
> it herehttps://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/1506. Anyone has the
> ability to pull strings at pypi.org ?

There's a process for claiming a package name from PyPI, I recently was
able to get ownership of the "rison" project. This is the PR I made to
claim it:

https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/4140

It took more than a year (!), but maybe we can be more vocal about it. :)

--Beto