Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> on 2009/12/01 17:50:33 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Passing remote client IP address to backend server and session stickness

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Ruiyuan Jiang <Ru...@liz.com> wrote:
> Hi, Haroon
>
> Where do you see Apache 2.3? I don't see on the office Apache web site.
> Also where should I apply:
>
> <%= request.getHeader("X-Forwarded-For") %>
>
> In my Apache reverse proxy server? Thanks.
>
> Ryan

Apache 2.3 is apache development branch.

When apache acts as a reverse proxy it automatically adds the
X-Forwarded-For header to the incoming request. It does this
automatically, it is part of what reverse proxies do.

Your application server can see this header and update itself to use
the IP address in this header as the 'real' IP address of the
connection.

mod_remoteip is an apache module in apache 2.3 that does this. For you
to use this, your application server must be apache.

It seems like your application server is not apache, it is some sort
of java application server. mod_remoteip would not be a solution for
that. Simply stfw for 'x-forwarded-for <name of your app server>' for
potential solutions:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+10+x-forwarded-for
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+9+x-forwarded-for

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Passing remote client IP address to backend server and session stickness

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Ruiyuan Jiang <Ru...@liz.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Tom
>
> I will check with my developers here. By the way, is apache done differently for X-Forwarded-For than the rest reverse proxy vendors?
>
> Ryan

No.

Cheers

Tom

RE: [users@httpd] Passing remote client IP address to backend server and session stickness

Posted by Ruiyuan Jiang <Ru...@liz.com>.
Thanks, Tom

I will check with my developers here. By the way, is apache done differently for X-Forwarded-For than the rest reverse proxy vendors?

Ryan

> Where do you see Apache 2.3? I don't see on the office Apache web site.
> Also where should I apply:
>
> <%= request.getHeader("X-Forwarded-For") %>
>
> In my Apache reverse proxy server? Thanks.
>
> Ryan

Apache 2.3 is apache development branch.

When apache acts as a reverse proxy it automatically adds the
X-Forwarded-For header to the incoming request. It does this
automatically, it is part of what reverse proxies do.

Your application server can see this header and update itself to use
the IP address in this header as the 'real' IP address of the
connection.

mod_remoteip is an apache module in apache 2.3 that does this. For you
to use this, your application server must be apache.

It seems like your application server is not apache, it is some sort
of java application server. mod_remoteip would not be a solution for
that. Simply stfw for 'x-forwarded-for <name of your app server>' for
potential solutions:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+10+x-forwarded-for
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+9+x-forwarded-for

Tom

This message (including any attachments) is intended
solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above, and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and then delete it.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.