Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2022/05/18 09:40:04 UTC

Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?

Our release lifecycle docs¹ imply that we can release alphas despite
flaky test failures, which means we can cut and vote on a 4.1-alpha1
release today. This is also on the presumption that point (2) on our
Cassandra CI Process docs² does not apply to pre-beta releases.

Is there an appetite for this?
Any objections?
Any tickets about to land folk want us to wait on?

regards,
Mick

1) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Release+Lifecycle

2) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+CI+Process

Re: Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?

Posted by Derek Chen-Becker <de...@chen-becker.org>.
+1 to a release, but should we be explicit about alphas potentially having
flaky test failures? I think the release lifecycle doc is really good, but
I think when we find implied behavior it's an opportunity to make it more
concrete. I don't want to be dogmatic here, but flaky tests definitely seem
like something we would want users to be aware of as a possible risk of
using alpha.

Cheers,

Derek

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 3:40 AM Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Our release lifecycle docs¹ imply that we can release alphas despite
> flaky test failures, which means we can cut and vote on a 4.1-alpha1
> release today. This is also on the presumption that point (2) on our
> Cassandra CI Process docs² does not apply to pre-beta releases.
>
> Is there an appetite for this?
> Any objections?
> Any tickets about to land folk want us to wait on?
>
> regards,
> Mick
>

> 1) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Release+Lifecycle
>
> 2)
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+CI+Process

| Derek Chen-Becker                                             |
| GPG Key available at https://keybase.io/dchenbecker and       |
| https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=derek%40chen-becker.org |
| Fngrprnt: EB8A 6480 F0A3 C8EB C1E7  7F42 AFC5 AFEE 96E4 6ACC  |

Re: Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
Ok, thanks everyone. Will kick off a 4.1-alpha1 cut.

Derek, I can add extra mention to the state of CI behind the build on
the final announcement email.

Re: Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?

Posted by "C. Scott Andreas" <sc...@paradoxica.net>.
Yep, supportive of anything that has the potential to increase the number of users evaluating a pre-release build. Alpha sounds great.On May 18, 2022, at 9:29 AM, David Capwell <dc...@apple.com> wrote:Works for meOn May 18, 2022, at 7:36 AM, Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org> wrote:+1 from me on the grounds that I expect users to be more inclined to test an alpha build of 4.1 rather than finding and pulling down a nightly. Expectations of stability differ.On Wed, May 18, 2022, at 10:18 AM, Stefan Miklosovic wrote:Hi Mick,I do not mind having alpha1 out. It will help me with setting up allbuild pipelines for our plugins / tools / libraries as now I can notbuild it as snapshot is not released anywhere nor I can depend on itin Maven projects, for example.So yeah, +1 from me.RegardsOn Wed, 18 May 2022 at 11:40, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:>> Our release lifecycle docs¹ imply that we can release alphas despite> flaky test failures, which means we can cut and vote on a 4.1-alpha1> release today. This is also on the presumption that point (2) on our> Cassandra CI Process docs² does not apply to pre-beta releases.>> Is there an appetite for this?> Any objections?> Any tickets about to land folk want us to wait on?>> regards,> Mick>>> 1) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Release+Lifecycle>> 2) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+CI+Process

Re: Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@apple.com>.
Works for me

Re: Appetite for a 4.1-alpha1 ?