Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> on 2022/05/27 15:27:10 UTC

[DISCUSS] Pulsar Admin CLI Docs are Incomplete

Hi Pulsar Community,

We have several open issues listing problems with our Pulsar Admin CLI
documentation. There are missing sub commands and missing arguments.
Here are the issues:

https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/14987
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/14946
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/13916
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/15813

I think the main problem is when we're building these docs. Instead of
building SNAPSHOT versions on an odd cadence, we should build a doc
per version of the CLI when we're completing releases. I describe a
solution here https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/14838.

I did this work for the Python client library, so I know it can be a
little time consuming, but it is worth the effort, if someone has the
time. I think it'd add a lot of value. Users rely on the CLI docs to
find existing commands and discover new commands. They're an essential
part of our documentation.

On a separate but related note, it'd be really valuable if we could
get bash completion for all of our CLI tools. JCommander does not give
us this out of the box, so we'd need to switch CLI provider libraries.
We could package the bash completion in the docker image so it just
works for users. Finally, if we're switching providers, it'd be nice
to build native images for our CLI tools. That would improve startup
time and make the CLI tool faster.

Thanks,
Michael