Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Frank Barnaby <Fr...@Sun.COM> on 2008/01/02 23:26:36 UTC

Uploading Releases to apache.org/dist/incubator

Hi folks,

I've found some information regarding the need to distribute incubating
releases through www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling-name
(ie, people.apache.org:/www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling-name)
and have read a readme in the dist/incubator directory, which states
that
I should consult this mailing list before populating the dist area.

I have confirmed that I have write access to the dist/incubator
directory,
but must I go through some formal process to request a distribution
directory?
It's clear that each distribution bundle must be accompanied by a
corresponding
signature file (eg, foo.zip.asc), a set of check sum files (*.md5 and
*.sha),
a KEYS file, and a README.html (including the incubating disclaimer
and info
about the release).  What's unclear is whether a formal process exists
and which
subdirectories are required: doc, binaries, source, patches, etc...

I've found very little documentation at the incubator.apache.org web
site,
so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Re: Uploading Releases to apache.org/dist/incubator

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 2, 2008 10:26 PM, Frank Barnaby <Fr...@sun.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,

hi frank

> I've found some information regarding the need to distribute incubating
> releases through www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling-name
> (ie, people.apache.org:/www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling-name)
> and have read a readme in the dist/incubator directory, which states
> that
> I should consult this mailing list before populating the dist area.

yep - i created that document

policy is now that official releases issued by the incubator need to
be distributed through the standard apache distribution mechanism

the documentation is still being worked on ATM so i've volunteered to
walk anyone who wants to release though the process

if i'm right in assuming that this is river-related, let's hop back
onto river-dev (i'm subscribing now). if not, please jump in

- robert