Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/28 23:41:47 UTC

Basic Installation Error: System cannot find path specified.

Requesting help with installation.

 Using James version 2.3.x on windows xp sp 2.
 I unzip the jaf and mailapi and installed java 1.5 but then when I try
 to run as follows I get the following error
 --
 Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
 (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

 There is nothing in log or temp directory. It just says "system cannot
 find the path specified". It was working fine two days ago. I tried it
 again today and got this. I removed 2.3.1 and tried it with 2.3.0 and
 still the same error.

 The only differences is that the last time java_home was not showing
 (when it was working) and now JAVA_HOME is showing but the rest is not
 working.

 I was really looking forward to working with James ; have wanted to
 for a long time but now this unreliability and breakdown is making me
 pessimistic :( about its reliability.

Re: Basic Installation Error: System cannot find path specified.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Athar Shiraz Siddiqui ha scritto:
> Under windows xp sp2 I have to UNSET java_home property and james runs fine.

I use JAMES under XP SP2 and it works with JAVA_HOME set.
BTW this is java issue. We simply use the standard JAVA_HOME variable.

Stefano

Re: Basic Installation Error: System cannot find path specified.

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.
Under windows xp sp2 I have to UNSET java_home property and james runs fine.
Under windows 2003 sp2 I have to make sure I set the java_home
variable or the server does not start.
I had to unset the java_home variable in xp because I had the wrong
path in there (included bin directory and was under the impression
that I needed to have the path to executable java file).

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.
This is the oddest thing. This James install does the EXACT opposite
in Windows server 2003 sp2.

When I try to run.bat it does not run until I set the JAVA_HOME
environment variable.

This is ridiculous. This conflict in software drives up costs and
causes the consumer to lose.

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.