Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de> on 2020/02/25 15:53:19 UTC

Enabling http to https redirects for tomcat.apache.org

Hi all,

as more and more browsers are marking http as unsecure, we should
redirect all http requests to tomcat.apache.org to https.

We can enable that by adding a rewrite rule to the .htaccess file in the
xdocs folder of our site repo.

For JMeter we used the following fragment:

RewriteEngine On

# Redirect http to https
# From Cordova PMC Member raphinesse
# https://s.apache.org/An8s

# If we receive a forwarded http request from a proxy...
RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Proto} =http [OR]

# ...or just a plain old http request directly from the client
RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Proto} =""
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on

# Redirect to https version
RewriteRule ^ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L]

Anything against adding this to our .htaccess file?

Felix

Re: Enabling http to https redirects for tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Felix,

On 2/25/20 11:10, Felix Schumacher wrote:

> Am 25.02.20 um 16:57 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>> Felix,
>>
>> On 2/25/20 10:53, Felix Schumacher wrote:
>>> as more and more browsers are marking http as unsecure, we
>>> should redirect all http requests to tomcat.apache.org to
>>> https.
>>
>>> We can enable that by adding a rewrite rule to the .htaccess
>>> file in the xdocs folder of our site repo.
>>
>>> For JMeter we used the following fragment:
>>
>>> RewriteEngine On
>>
>>> # Redirect http to https # From Cordova PMC Member raphinesse
>>> # https://s.apache.org/An8s
>>
>>> # If we receive a forwarded http request from a proxy...
>>> RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Proto} =http [OR]
>>
>>> # ...or just a plain old http request directly from the client
>>> RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Proto} ="" RewriteCond %{HTTPS}
>>> !=on
>>
>>> # Redirect to https version RewriteRule ^
>>> https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L]
>>
>> Query string? Or is that part of REQUEST_URI?
>
> If I read the documentation for REQUEST_URI right, that
> QUERY_STRING is not part of it.
>
> Hm, another way to do this would probably be
>
> RewriteRule ^/?(.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [L]
>
> Taken partly from
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HTTPD/RewriteHTTPToHTTPS
>
>  Do you think that would be better?

Yes. I don't think we have any pages which actually require a
query-string, but it's better to do it properly from the outset rather
than patching it ad-hoc whenever certain things don't work.

- -chris

Re: Enabling http to https redirects for tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Enabling http to https redirects for tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 2/25/20 17:29, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,

>>> I really don't like this.
>>
>>> I'm happy to support https for those people that want to use it
>>> but I see no need to require https for everybody for
>>> tomcat.apache.org.
>>
>>> We should not be dictating to our users what security / privacy
>>> / caching / performance / etc. trade-offs are appropriate for
>>> them. We should support as many options as possible and let our
>>> users decided.
>>
>>> I'm not quite -1 on this but I am close.
>>
>> https://www.troyhunt.com/heres-why-your-static-website-needs-https/
>

> Sorry, not convinced. We need to let users make this choice.
>
> The numbers are significant.
>
> tomcat.apache.org from China can be significantly slower over
> https compared to http. Typically 2 to 3 times slower in my testing
> with
>
> https://www.websitepulse.com/tools/china-firewall-test#
>
> 3.5s to 8s to load the index page over https compared to ~1.5s
> over http. That said, I didn't repeat the test enough for those
> results to be considered statistically reliable.

Plus, the Great Firewall is already a giant MiTM, so forcing HTTPS
doesn't really prevent them from performing whatever content
filtering/tampering they want, anyway.

> Not everyone has a low latency, high bandwidth connection to the
> internet. We need to let the users decide if they want to pay the
> performance penalty for the benefits of https or not. We should not
> be assuming we know best for everyone.

What's a few three-legged handshakes between friends?

Hopefully TLSv1.3 will improve things for everyone. Well, unless they
are deployed in AWS (*ducks*).

- -chris

Re: Enabling http to https redirects for tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 2/25/20 14:34, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 25/02/2020 15:53, Felix Schumacher wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> as more and more browsers are marking http as unsecure, we
>>> should redirect all http requests to tomcat.apache.org to https.
>
>> I really don't like this.
>
>> I'm happy to support https for those people that want to use it but
>> I see no need to require https for everybody for
>> tomcat.apache.org.
>
>> We should not be dictating to our users what security / privacy /
>> caching / performance / etc. trade-offs are appropriate for them.
>> We should support as many options as possible and let our users
>> decided.
>
>> I'm not quite -1 on this but I am close.
>
> https://www.troyhunt.com/heres-why-your-static-website-needs-https/

Sorry, not convinced. We need to let users make this choice.

The numbers are significant.

tomcat.apache.org from China can be significantly slower over https
compared to http. Typically 2 to 3 times slower in my testing with

https://www.websitepulse.com/tools/china-firewall-test#

3.5s to 8s to load the index page over https compared to ~1.5s over
http. That said, I didn't repeat the test enough for those results to be
considered statistically reliable.

Not everyone has a low latency, high bandwidth connection to the
internet. We need to let the users decide if they want to pay the
performance penalty for the benefits of https or not. We should not be
assuming we know best for everyone.

Mark

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 with some light (1 month?) notice time in case anyone uses http directly
intentionally, will avoid some security breaches http can get, in
particular on subdomains.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.