Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bert Douglas <be...@tplogic.com> on 2003/11/14 21:12:05 UTC

how to install ?

Hi all,

I would like to try out subversion.  I bought a new pc and installed red hat 9 on it.  I followed the install instructions for the server with binary rpms for red hat 9.  But major parts seem to be missing.  Are there any more detailed install instructions?

Here is what I did.  I got all the rpms and put them in a new temp directory.   Did su to root.  cd'd to the temp directory.  And typed the following command:

rpm --nodeps -Uvh *.rpm

It proceeded to completion with no messages.

I then edited my httpd.conf file and added the module line for mod_dav_svn, as it says in the instructions.

However, when I try to start httpd, it says that the module does not exist.  And indeed it doesn't.

Thanks much,
Bert Douglas

Re: how to install ?

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Bert Douglas wrote:

> Thanks for help.  I have since resolved this problem by building from
> sources and lots of hacking about.

I'm glad you got it installed.

>  You guys seriously need some better installation instructions.

We probably do.  Can you remember any mistake or missing thing in particular, that we could easily fix or add?  Perhaps you eventually found information in a different document, and the first document should have referred to it?

> The reason I used "--nodeps" is because it specifically said to do this
> in the installation instructions for the binary rpm for redhat 9.

Oh, OK.  We should certainly try to improve that part of the instructions, then!

If you have any more problems, please ask.  And if you can contribute any correction or addition to the instructions, that would be very helpful.

- Julian

Re: how to install ?

Posted by Bert Douglas <be...@tplogic.com>.
Thanks for help.  I have since resolved this problem by building from sources and lots of hacking about.  You guys seriously need some better installation instructions.

The reason I used "--nodeps" is because it specifically said to do this in the installation instructions for the binary rpm for redhat 9.
  >  Here is what I did.  I got all the rpms and put them in a new temp
  > directory.   Did su to root.  cd'd to the temp directory.  And typed
  > the following command:
  >

  > rpm --nodeps -Uvh *.rpm

  Using --nodeps is bad, and causes RPM to install the package you asked
  for without installing any packages it might depend on. If you really
  had got all the RPMs you need for Subversion, then you wouldn't have
  needed --nodeps.

  Try again without --nodeps and try to resolve the other dependencies it
  complains about.

  Cheers,
  Mike.

Re: how to install ?