Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Haneda <li...@newgeo.com> on 2002/02/11 01:24:50 UTC

Re: Funny stuff in my logs (last call :-) )

on 2/9/02 9:15 PM, Steven Pierce at pagedev1@speakeasy.net wrote:

> Sorry that I could not be more help.  One issue that I had thought of
> is that are you having it look for a file that is not there.  Have you also
> tried to access the site with a machine and see if there is a specific place
> you go when the error happens??
>
> I was thinking that maybe someone is trying to access the site and
> it is going to a page that is not there...

Thanks for the help Steven

Here is a summarization of where I am at now....

First I did a grep -r 'statfs\ failed' \r /
To see if any files on the entire apache server had that line in it, if it
did, I could see where any why it was reporting this to to apache log,
nothing showed up.

I thought maybe it was in a binary and I would not be able to read it with
grep, so off to download the source :-)

Got source on Perl, Php, Apache
Grepped out all those, and nothing at all either.

I ran tail on the error_log while watching the site requests, and I saw
nothing that correspnds with the lines in the error logs.

Geberally, a apachectl graceful, will restart the server, and then, in about
15 seconds, I get 4 lines in the error_log
statfs failed because: No such file or directory
statfs failed because: No such file or directory
statfs failed because: No such file or directory
statfs failed because: No such file or directory

Then nothing for a while, maybe 5 minutes, then a few more, sometimes more
than 4, sometimes less.

Had a few friends look into their error logs, all on OSX 10.1, and they also
are having this as well.  I am going to make a guess here, all apple OSX
boxes are going to have this, any ideas where to go next?

Scott Haneda                                   lists@newgeo.com
http://www.newgeo.com                  Novato, California 94949

Re: Funny stuff in my logs (last call :-) )

Posted by Hasanuddin Tamir <sa...@trabas.com>.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Hasanuddin Tamir <sa...@trabas.com> wrote,

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Scott Haneda <li...@newgeo.com> wrote,
>
> > on 2/9/02 9:15 PM, Steven Pierce at pagedev1@speakeasy.net wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry that I could not be more help.  One issue that I had thought of
> > > is that are you having it look for a file that is not there.  Have you also
> > > tried to access the site with a machine and see if there is a specific place
> > > you go when the error happens??
> > >
> > > I was thinking that maybe someone is trying to access the site and
> > > it is going to a page that is not there...
> >
> > Thanks for the help Steven
> >
> > Here is a summarization of where I am at now....
> >
> > First I did a grep -r 'statfs\ failed' \r /
> > To see if any files on the entire apache server had that line in it, if it
> > did, I could see where any why it was reporting this to to apache log,
> > nothing showed up.
> >
> > I thought maybe it was in a binary and I would not be able to read it with
> > grep, so off to download the source :-)
> >
> > Got source on Perl, Php, Apache
> > Grepped out all those, and nothing at all either.
> >
> > I ran tail on the error_log while watching the site requests, and I saw
> > nothing that correspnds with the lines in the error logs.
> >
> > Geberally, a apachectl graceful, will restart the server, and then, in about
> > 15 seconds, I get 4 lines in the error_log
> > statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> > statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> > statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> > statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> >
> > Then nothing for a while, maybe 5 minutes, then a few more, sometimes more
> > than 4, sometimes less.
> >
> > Had a few friends look into their error logs, all on OSX 10.1, and they also
> > are having this as well.  I am going to make a guess here, all apple OSX
> > boxes are going to have this, any ideas where to go next?
>
> The last thing I can think of is statfs is the name of C function.  So I
> tried 'man statfs' in my Linux box. Here is the first sentence from
> DESCRIPTION section: "statfs  returns  information about a mounted file
> system".
>
> If this is your case, the question is: what is it trying to stat.

>From perl-5.6.1 source tree:

    $ grep -r statfs *.[ch]
    perl.c: * Preferred order: fstatvfs(), fstatfs(), ustat()+getmnt(),
    getmntent().
    perl.c: * fstatfs() is 4.3 BSD.
    perl.c:    struct statfs  stfs;
    perl.c:    check_okay = fstatfs(fd, &stfs)  == 0;
    perl.c:#   endif /* fstatfs */
    perl.h:#   include <sys/mount.h>       /* for *BSD f?statfs() */
    perl.h:#   include <sys/statfs.h>      /* for some statfs() */
    perl.h:#    include <sys/vfs.h> /* for some statfs() */

Nothing from apache 1.3.22 source tree.

--
san->http(www.trabas.com)

Re: Funny stuff in my logs (last call :-) )

Posted by Hasanuddin Tamir <sa...@trabas.com>.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Scott Haneda <li...@newgeo.com> wrote,

> on 2/9/02 9:15 PM, Steven Pierce at pagedev1@speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> > Sorry that I could not be more help.  One issue that I had thought of
> > is that are you having it look for a file that is not there.  Have you also
> > tried to access the site with a machine and see if there is a specific place
> > you go when the error happens??
> >
> > I was thinking that maybe someone is trying to access the site and
> > it is going to a page that is not there...
>
> Thanks for the help Steven
>
> Here is a summarization of where I am at now....
>
> First I did a grep -r 'statfs\ failed' \r /
> To see if any files on the entire apache server had that line in it, if it
> did, I could see where any why it was reporting this to to apache log,
> nothing showed up.
>
> I thought maybe it was in a binary and I would not be able to read it with
> grep, so off to download the source :-)
>
> Got source on Perl, Php, Apache
> Grepped out all those, and nothing at all either.
>
> I ran tail on the error_log while watching the site requests, and I saw
> nothing that correspnds with the lines in the error logs.
>
> Geberally, a apachectl graceful, will restart the server, and then, in about
> 15 seconds, I get 4 lines in the error_log
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
>
> Then nothing for a while, maybe 5 minutes, then a few more, sometimes more
> than 4, sometimes less.
>
> Had a few friends look into their error logs, all on OSX 10.1, and they also
> are having this as well.  I am going to make a guess here, all apple OSX
> boxes are going to have this, any ideas where to go next?

The last thing I can think of is statfs is the name of C function.  So I
tried 'man statfs' in my Linux box. Here is the first sentence from
DESCRIPTION section: "statfs  returns  information about a mounted file
system".

If this is your case, the question is: what is it trying to stat.

hth
--
san->http(www.trabas.com)