Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Mathias Herberts <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/12 21:22:44 UTC

0.2 celebration

First of all congrats to everyone involved in bringing 0.2 to life!

I've been following Thrift for quite some time now. Occasionally I
contributed patches or comments, but most importantly I've been using
it happily for more than 18 months now.

Along the journey that led to 0.2 I had to endure several breaking
changes in generated code, I hope this release calls the end of these
kind of changes, because if I can bear with those silently I doubt
making changes that break compatibility is a good thing for large
scale adoption of Thrift.

I'm looking forward to contribute my code that makes Thrift usable
with GWT, thus extending the usage of the framework to the Web client.

Once again congrats on the 0.2.

Mathias.

Re: 0.2 celebration

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for the congratulations, Mathias!

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Mathias Herberts
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all congrats to everyone involved in bringing 0.2 to life!
>
> I've been following Thrift for quite some time now. Occasionally I
> contributed patches or comments, but most importantly I've been using
> it happily for more than 18 months now.
>
> Along the journey that led to 0.2 I had to endure several breaking
> changes in generated code, I hope this release calls the end of these
> kind of changes, because if I can bear with those silently I doubt
> making changes that break compatibility is a good thing for large
> scale adoption of Thrift.

I don't think we can quite promise the end of breaking changes yet.
Instead, though, we should ensure that any such changes are marked as
such in the JIRA and that they're called out specifically in the
release notes for future releases.

-Todd