Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mikko Tiihonen <mt...@cc.hut.fi> on 2006/04/06 14:31:04 UTC

diff between tag and working revision

Hi,

I would like to see differences in the code since last last tagged release
without commiting what I have modified in the working copy.

I read from the mail archives that using the following command should do the
trick:

svn diff --old=REPO/tags/TAG --new=.

But unfortunately it does not list any modifications that are still uncommited
in the working copy. In other words everything shown by plain svn diff is
omitted and only things that I have already commited since the TAG are shown.

svn diff and svn diff -r TAG_REVISION have the same output.

I'm using FC5 subversion-1.3.0-4.2

-Mikko

Re: diff between tag and working revision

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.
On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 17:31 +0300, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see differences in the code since last last tagged release
> without commiting what I have modified in the working copy.
>
> I read from the mail archives that using the following command should do the
> trick:
>
> svn diff --old=REPO/tags/TAG --new=.
>
> But unfortunately it does not list any modifications that are still uncommited
> in the working copy. In other words everything shown by plain svn diff is
> omitted and only things that I have already commited since the TAG are shown.
>
> svn diff and svn diff -r TAG_REVISION have the same output.
>
> I'm using FC5 subversion-1.3.0-4.2

If you have checked out trunk/ and tags/, you can use plain unix diff
for that.

-Alex

Re: diff between tag and working revision

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 4/6/06, Mikko Tiihonen <mt...@cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to see differences in the code since last last tagged release
> without commiting what I have modified in the working copy.
>
> I read from the mail archives that using the following command should do the
> trick:
>
> svn diff --old=REPO/tags/TAG --new=.
>
> But unfortunately it does not list any modifications that are still uncommited
> in the working copy. In other words everything shown by plain svn diff is
> omitted and only things that I have already commited since the TAG are shown.
>
> svn diff and svn diff -r TAG_REVISION have the same output.
>
> I'm using FC5 subversion-1.3.0-4.2

It seems to work here...  'svn diff
--old=http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/nonxml-entries --new=.'
with a trunk working copy and some edited files showes the edited
portions of the files just fine, along with the diff between trunk and
the branch.  What version of svn are you using on the server?

Perhaps if you show us a short example of what you're seeing and what
you expect to see it would be easier to diagnose your problem.

-garrett