Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ewood <wo...@ship.saic.com> on 2006/11/29 19:44:35 UTC

Prefetch limit and queue size

I am running AMQ v4.1 with a network of embedded brokers (2).  My question is
what happens when the prefetch limit is reached?  Will subsequent calls to
send fail in some way?  More importantly, can I detect when the prefetch
limit has been reached from my client?  I know I can get the queue size via
JMX, but what does that size really mean?  Is that the total number enqued
minus dequed or is the number of unacknowledged messages, or some other
number.  Sorry if this is in the documentation somewhere, but I can't find
it.

Re: Prefetch limit and queue size

Posted by ewood <wo...@ship.saic.com>.
Thanks,

I've read the documentation and I understand what the prefetch is and how to
set it.  That wasn't really my question.

Eric

Posted by Marlon Santos <ms...@exist.com>.
Hi,

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/06, ewood <wo...@ship.saic.com> wrote:
> I am running AMQ v4.1 with a network of embedded brokers (2).  My question is
> what happens when the prefetch limit is reached?

No more messages are dispatched to the consumer

> Will subsequent calls to
> send fail in some way?

No.

For non-persistent messaging send can sometimes block if the broker is
out of RAM (though there are options to deal with that)...

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/slow-consumer-handling.html

also spooling to disk is coming in 4.2 etc.

> More importantly, can I detect when the prefetch
> limit has been reached from my client?

You can look at the MBeans

James
-------