Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/27 17:18:40 UTC

wifi access to tomcat on wired mc

Scenario.
  Tomcat install on Linux, wired to router.
  Windows 7 connected to router via wifi.

from windows.
>ping ip.address     no problem
http access to tomcat from windows. Nothing
telnet access to tomcat ip port     Nothing

wired access to tomcat from a.n.other  no problem

I've got Zone alarm on the windows box.
I think I have set it to pass through for 'trusted' zone on my local net.

Can anyone think of more 'blocks' to seeing the server please?

TiA

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Re: wifi access to tomcat on wired mc

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
basic is.... from wifi mc
>ping 192.168.1.65
no problem

My local net is that, 192.168.1.*

putting that in the window(Chrome) browser says no.
http://192.168.1.65:8081
Just times out.

regards

Posted by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 27 November 2013 18:24, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 11/27/13, 12:39 PM, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> On 27 November 2013 17:10, Christopher Schultz
>>> You mean when you try to reach Tomcat's HTTP port from a machine
>>> hard-wired on the network using the local IP, it works fine?
>>
>> No, sorry , I lie Oops, Google chrom could not connect to
>> 192.168.65:8081
>
> You mean 192.168.1.65:8081 right?

Yes. that's right.

>>> To summarize, you can ping from anywhere but HTTP only works when
>>> you use a hard-wired client? Odd.
>>
>> ping works from both wired/wireless to the 'main' wired machine
>> containing the tomcat server
>>

>>> What if you hard-wire the Windows box?
>>
>> I have both... neither works (sorry)
>
> Okay, that suggests that the problem is on the Windows box.

Noted.

> You said that "wires access to tomcat from a.n.other   no problem".
> What other client did you use and what was its setup?

No, I was wrong. I have a full windows box, wired to the router.
A laptop, wifi connected to the router.
Both report Connecting to (ip ads) Could not open connection to the
host, on port 8081

Both ping the (ip ads) works fine.

>>> Does it have any rules concerning outbound traffic? It might be
>>> blocking lots of stuff to the local network.
>>
>> Outbound? I presumed the block (if there was one) was inbound,
>> http from 'trusted zone'
>
> Your Windows box can be configured to refuse to transmit traffic out
> to certain places. It seems that is the likely problem, here. Check
> both firewalls for any such rules.

Will do. Zonealarm seems v.complex to set up.
I think I need both incoming and outgoing
'mycomputer' to trusted zone :8081
and vice versa

>> IMHO I can ping it... does that necessarily mean I can get http
>> connections?
>
> No. ping sends ICMP packets which are in a special category and do not
> use a port number. They can be allowed or rejected by firewalls. HTTP
> is TCP/IP and uses whatever port number you want (8081 in your case).

>>> As far as the Linux machine is concerned, there is no difference
>>> between a WiFi and hard-wired client, as long as they are in the
>>> same IP range. I'm not sure you could configure iptables to
>>> restrict based upon that criteria alone. Is iptables running?
>>> What rules does it have?
>>
>> Sorry.. excuse my ignorance, but how to check?
>
> As root, type "iptables -L" and it will list all the firewall rules on
> the server. I suspect the server is not a problem, though.

Heck of a list?
is there a gui I could use to add one ... or leave that till I
have tried the Windows end more thoroughly perhaps.
Nothing obvious showing currently.

>>> Windows has a built-in firewall, but I believe it's configured
>>> out of the box to allow anything to call-out to port 80. I'm not
>>> sure about 8080. If you have ZoneAlarm, does that mean you have 2
>>> software firewalls in the mix on that machine? You may want to
>>> check *both* their settings.
>>
>> I believe I have switched off the M$ firewall, since I have
>> zonealarm running?
>
> Only you can answer that.

Windows firewall shows

Home or work(private) networks 'Connected'
Beneath that
  Public networks, Not connected.
Between them
Windows firewall state 'Off'
which is what I wanted.

v.complex i/face though.

>>> Finally, the router can do weird things, too. Check your settings
>>> for anything "restriction-related".
>>
>> It's a BT (our national phone company) router+wifi I haven't found
>> anything strictly ip to ip mapping related.
>>
>> That is one of the potential blockers.
>
> That the Windows machine cannot connect regardless of
> WiFi-versus-Ethernet suggests that the problem is with the Windows
> box, not the network.
>
> - -chris

Again, thanks Chris.

I'll play (on the windows side) tomorrow.

regards

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes, 192.168,1.xxx

http://dpawson.co.uk
xslt xsl-fo docbook FAQ

Posted by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 3 December 2013 17:48, Leo Donahue - OETX
<Le...@mail.maricopa.gov> wrote:

> Reading back over your previous posts, you said you can ping the Linux box from Windows 7 (aka your wireless laptop?):
> " ...ping works from both wired/wireless to the 'main' wired machine containing the tomcat server"

Yes

> But you can't use the IP of your wired Tomcat box in a URL with port 8081 to get Tomcat to respond from your Windows 7 wireless laptop?  It just times out?

.... Not that it times out, just that I can't get any data back using
http, from browser.
telnet ipAddress port also reports  'could not open connection'

> But if you make the same request from the other wired computer, that same URL works fine?

No. I believe I corrected myself. From the wired windows box I cannot get
access.
[May be of  use. I can 'share' a directory, using Samba. No idea what
protocol that uses. ]

> Sorry for making you repeat all of this.  One of your previous posts confused me as to whether you could or could not do this.

My apologies. I profess mostly ignorance of internet protocols.

> From your wireless Windows 7 laptop, can you see a file share on the other wired (non-Linux) box?  I'm just trying to rule out your network and/or your vendor provided hardware.

OK. More trial (and learning).
>From the laptop I can 'share' (windows wise) with the wired windows box.
ditto I can 'see' the shared (samba) directory on the linux box.

HTH

Posted by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

From your wireless Windows 7 laptop, can you see a file share on the other wired (non-Linux) box?  I'm just trying to rule out your network and/or your vendor provided hardware.

Re: wifi access to tomcat on wired mc

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

ISP ----> | inside your house | ----> your ISP provided wifi /router ----> switch maybe or other router of your own (?) ----> your computers?

Or is it this:

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 3 December 2013 14:21, Leo Donahue - OETX
<Le...@mail.maricopa.gov> wrote:
> [...]

Hi Leo

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 3 December 2013 14:46, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> On 12/3/13, 9:39 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Leo Donahue - OETX [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov]
>>> Subject: RE: wifi access to tomcat on wired mc
>>
>>> Have you tried disabling the windows firewall altogether to rule
>>> it out as the problem?
>>
>> The OP may well have more than one firewall active on the Windows
>> box, if I interpreted his previous postings correctly.
>
> +1
>
> Also iptables on the Linux box, but I'm still confused as to what
> exactly does and does not work. It seems the OP gives conflicting
> information with every additional post.

Confusion leading to conflicting?
I.e. I don't know what is / isn't getting in the way.
Window to Linux (tomcat)

1. I believe windows firewall is switched off (Zonealarm does that
on request)
2. Zonealarm firewall. Not exactly clear how to get that to pass through
... AFAIK that just needs incoming ip:8080 ( main tc port) - no others.
outgoing 'this machine' to ip address
3. British Telecom router (unable to find anything to set)
4. Fedora Linux. There is a firewall. No ideas on iptables.

Hence my confusion?

regards

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: wifi access to tomcat on wired mc

Posted by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

Yes, I forgot to mention also disabling his "zone alarm" product.

Leo

RE: wifi access to tomcat on wired mc

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chuck.
Back to playing with Windows firewalls.

DaveP

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 27 November 2013 18:24, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

A little progress.
Clarification please.

Am I right in thinking that tomcat (as installed) only allows access
to localhost,
using server.xml / <Valve /> options?

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter

My local network on 192.168.1.xxx
I want to give access to other mc's on this net.

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
               allow="192\.168\.1\.66" />

Isn't working - Is that the right attribute value for @allow please
(I'll change it to a range if this is the right regex syntax)

TiA

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Dave,

On 11/27/13, 12:39 PM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 27 November 2013 17:10, Christopher Schultz
>> You mean when you try to reach Tomcat's HTTP port from a machine
>> hard-wired on the network using the local IP, it works fine?
>
> No, sorry , I lie Oops, Google chrom could not connect to
> 192.168.65:8081

You mean 192.168.1.65:8081 right?

>> To summarize, you can ping from anywhere but HTTP only works when
>> you use a hard-wired client? Odd.
>
> ping works from both wired/wireless to the 'main' wired machine
> containing the tomcat server
>

>> What if you hard-wire the Windows box?
>
> I have both... neither works (sorry)

Okay, that suggests that the problem is on the Windows box.

You said that "wires access to tomcat from a.n.other   no problem".
What other client did you use and what was its setup?

>>> I've got Zone alarm on the windows box.
>>
>> Does it have any rules concerning outbound traffic? It might be
>> blocking lots of stuff to the local network.
>
> Outbound? I presumed the block (if there was one) was inbound,
> http from 'trusted zone'

Your Windows box can be configured to refuse to transmit traffic out
to certain places. It seems that is the likely problem, here. Check
both firewalls for any such rules.

>>> I think I have set it to pass through for 'trusted' zone on my
>>> local net.
>>
>> Okay, maybe not.
>>
>> Some routers have AP-isolation features where the WiFi clients
>> can only get to the "outside" of the network, and can't contact
>> local machines. But since you can ping the local machine that
>> seems to rule that out.
>
> IMHO I can ping it... does that necessarily mean I can get http
> connections?

No. ping sends ICMP packets which are in a special category and do not
use a port number. They can be allowed or rejected by firewalls. HTTP
is TCP/IP and uses whatever port number you want (8081 in your case).

>>> Can anyone think of more 'blocks' to seeing the server please?
>>
>> As far as the Linux machine is concerned, there is no difference
>> between a WiFi and hard-wired client, as long as they are in the
>> same IP range. I'm not sure you could configure iptables to
>> restrict based upon that criteria alone. Is iptables running?
>> What rules does it have?
>
> Sorry.. excuse my ignorance, but how to check?

As root, type "iptables -L" and it will list all the firewall rules on
the server. I suspect the server is not a problem, though.

>> Windows has a built-in firewall, but I believe it's configured
>> out of the box to allow anything to call-out to port 80. I'm not
>> sure about 8080. If you have ZoneAlarm, does that mean you have 2
>> software firewalls in the mix on that machine? You may want to
>> check *both* their settings.
>
> I believe I have switched off the M$ firewall, since I have
> zonealarm running?

Only you can answer that.

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 27 November 2013 17:10, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 11/27/13, 11:18 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> Scenario. Tomcat install on Linux, wired to router. Windows 7
>> connected to router via wifi.
>>
>> from windows.
>>> ping ip.address     no problem
>
> Which IP address? The local one or the public one of the router? I
> suspect the former.

the ip of the tomcat server.... i.e.
   192.168.1.254
  from which